Static Camcorder Options - An Up To Date Thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Static Camcorder Options - An Up To Date Thread

Wide shots will benefit from using big sensors full frame or super35 like used in the a5100/a6000 and upcoming a6300. use a fast wide angle prime and it will be tack sharp if focused
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Inner Circle

That depends, a smaller sensor 4k camera will outperform a larger sensor 1080p only a6000 when it comes to detail when set wide.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:40 PM   #18
Major Player

a6300 4k is the answer then
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

And still it doesn't mean that a larger sensor 4k dslr will automatically have a sharper image set wide , put a cheap lens on it and it will also have less detail then a smaller sensor 4K camera. a larger sensor size does not automatically mean you will have more resolution.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #20
Major Player

That's going to be good news for all those feature film producers, knowing they can get sharper images when needing a wide shot if they use smaller sensors lol (so long as they don't use a crappy lens), Seriously though. All things being equal and with sufficient skill a bigger sensor will produce a sharper image with more dr etc

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; February 23rd, 2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Like Noa I would use an AX100 for the wide safety shot as it will allow you to reframe & provide variety so the view doesn't look so static plus the image will be sharper & match better with your other cameras.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
All things being equal and with sufficient skill a bigger sensor will produce a sharper image with more dr etc
Still not buying it, you cannot generally assume that a larger sensor automatically means more DR and a sharper image, there are more factors that determine that.
Why has the small sensor BM pocket cam more DR then most other camera's in it's range with a larger sensor? If bigger sensor gives such a sharp image, why does a full frame the 5DIII has a softer image then most other smaller sensor camera's?
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #23
Major Player

You guys have reassured me somewhat.

Besides, I find it hard to spend £1300 on a camcorder for such a basic simple purpose.

Combine that with my previous difficulty in selling my CX730s for a reasonable price.

If I may explain my full setup:

A7sii in my hands normally
RX10ii on the couple
CX730 On the guests
Maybe the other CX730 on the wide of top table

I have my A7s on my gimbal, but I use this for the B&G room entrance and there's normally not enough time to remove it and implement it during the speeches.

I like the RX10ii on the couple - it means I don't have to pan back to them for reaction shots. Using a CX730 for the wide of the top table can be tricky though, as it is often backlit. Changing to manual exposure is always a risk for an unmanned camera - who knows if the light both indoor or outdoor might change over 45minutes.

I'm starting to wonder if I should bin the shot of the guest tables.

Another bit of info... i recently bought the Sony 18-105 f4 for my A7si. It is an aps-c lens, which then works out at 27-145mm (or something like that). I find it to be a great flexible reach for things like speeches and ceremony. The servo zoom is also helpful - nice and smooth.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #24
Trustee

At some point you may find you have to. Your other 2 cameras are 4K and I find 4K cameras deliver very good HD compared to HD only cameras. My GH3 and GH2 have the same issues. I too have a camera on the couple, you never know where a priceless reaction shot will happen. Did the Bride complain about that camera too - I thought the RX10ii delivered quite a good image. Your photo doesn't suggest the room was so dark to betray the cameras 1" sensor. Though perhaps the fullframe A7sii matches poorly with the smaller sensor cameras. There is a look to fullframe that even micro 4/3s can't really match let alone something smaller.

Interesting you don't have time to swap the camera off your gimbal; I've never had this trouble. True the Speeches can sometimes be starting as I'm placing my camera back on a tripod, but with other cameras on the table, its never a problem. I'd worry the battery lasting on my gimbal should the Speeches stretch on. Makes a loud beep when the battery gets too low, which would be a bit embarrassing.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #25
Major Player

They look good enough to me. Obviously the lighting on the guests' tables isn't as bright as the main table. Maybe it would be better to have your locked off camera (cx730) facing the guests? That would avoid the problems of a possible blown out window etc and would give you a more dynamic shot because you would see peoples reactions which is always interesting even if the shot is static. You already have the rx10 on the couple and the moving cam getting details.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques