EF 24-105 to FE 24-70 on A7s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 4th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #1
New Boot

EF 24-105 to FE 24-70 on A7s

Im currently using an A7s mk1 and Ive been tinkering with the idea to replace my adapted EF 24-105 with the native Zeiss FE 24-70. I already have the 55 1.8 for those shallow dof moments but Im hoping for the zoom to be my main walk around lens for the majority of the event/wedding.

The reviews on the lens are not so favorable though and are mixed at best.
Yes I would lose a bit of reach but having something lighter weight, better stabilization and the AF tracking (not the greatest but better than nothing) would be a welcome change. Im also aware that the manual fly by wire focusing will take some getting used to but Im prepared for that.

My main concern though is sharpness and image quality. How does the FE 24-70 stack up against the workhorse that is the 24-105? Would you recommend the switch?

*extra question: Since Im very green to events/weddings, how much does having AF tracking help at an event style shoot (particularly those important fast paced one take moments. eg. bride & family walking down the aisle etc..) ?
The purist in me wants to perfect everything in manual focus but how much of a headache can these scenarios it be ?
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: EF 24-105 to FE 24-70 on A7s

So no one has shot with both a 24-70 FE and an 24-105 EF ?
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I use the canon 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and the Zeiss 24-70 (both f4.0) for run and gun parts of the day for it's reasonable AF (a must IMO for arrivals of guests/wedding cars etc) I'd love to be able to manually focus track the bride as she walks down the aisle towards the camera while performing a slow zoom but it's just too difficult.

The canon lens is a little sharper and has more 'pop' IMO but what separates it from the Zeiss is the good MF where the Zeiss is pants.

Having said all that I might be tempted for next season to get the new Sony/Zeiss 24-70 2.8 even though it's a stupid price but will save some lens swapping on the day

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I use the canon 24-105 for ceremony and speeches and the Zeiss 24-70 (both f4.0) for run and gun parts of the day for it's reasonable AF (a must IMO for arrivals of guests/wedding cars etc) I'd love to be able to manually focus track the bride as she walks down the aisle towards the camera while performing a slow zoom but it's just too difficult.

The canon lens is a little sharper and has more 'pop' IMO but what separates it from the Zeiss is the good MF where the Zeiss is pants.

Having said all that I might be tempted for next season to get the new Sony/Zeiss 24-70 2.8 even though it's a stupid price but will save some lens swapping on the day

Pete
Thanks Pete, appreciate the response.

Thats a shame about the sharpness of the zeiss, I was assuming it would've been optically better for the price. Agreed about the focusing. I love the precise feel of my Canon's as opposed to these electronic fly by wire.

Ive read the new 2.8 G master supposedly has better MF so it would be nice to just stick to one lens. That price though!!

Can I ask what focal length you find yourself using the most for doc style candid shots. 35mm ?
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques