Best Light for wedding reception/speeches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 11th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Light for wedding reception/speeches

Dear forum members,

What kind of lights would you recommend for lighting wedding receptions/speeches/1sd dance etc…

I do have one of those relatively small LED lights that can be attached directly on camera or on a light stand and it is ok but I find it lacks overall power output and also I find annoying that I can't control its flood (no barn doors), so it is pretty much spill light everywhere.
I also hae one very big LED GO light but don't use it during wedding as it's footprint is too big and blocks the view of guests.

So, basically I am looking for a light that has
1) Good power output (more than those small on camera LED lights)
2) Is safe to use around people (would not heat up, hence probably an LED light)
3) Has small footrpint (doesn't block peoples view os say speeches)
4) My budget is flexible given I find a light that fits all these bills.

Does such a light that fits all these criteria even exist?
Maybe I missed another important criteria?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best Light for wedding reception/speeches

I have done a couple of wedding and my advice to you might differ from others, but here's what I have. I use a LED light mounted on top of my camera, I shoot 2 camera during reception and both of them have LEDs. Mine has both the Sony L batteries that last up to 5-6 hours. I prefer this kind of method since I don't have to worry if somebody trips on the light stand.

Wedding Videography Ontario California - iClickFilms
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This one is a high out put quality led light with remote control over power and light intensity.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Look at off-camera LED fresnels. The Dedo LED, Practilite 602,and the Boltzen 55w LED. All are battery operable, but you'll probably need to invest in some bigger batteries or external power packs if you're running these at full power for more than 1 hour. Try to get one with remote/wi-fi control, as once you raise it up, it's difficult to make any adjustments.
Invest in a tall light stand, and don't forget a sandbag (or at least tape down the legs). The fresnel gives you a longer 'throw' on the light, and you can cut it with barn doors if needed. They flare nicely as well, unlike panel LED's that throw a beam all over the place.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I myself use Comer 1800 light (and I'm a reseller). The best feature of the light is the spot filter. And there is a trick to turn the light into a really narrow strong beam. But for wedding reception, I like the way it cast a stage style spot. It is still a general purpose light but not a spot light (can't control the size of spot). But I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Light for wedding reception/speeches-comerspotlight.jpg  
Old July 12th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

A vote here for the Comer 1800...
Old July 12th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What do you guys think about Dedolights LED's?
Or are they too expensive and not worth the premium?

Are they even Fresnel? As suggested, I think it would be best to get fresnel focusing light that has also wireless control ability.
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok after some more research I cam down 2 choices.
They are both LED and bi-color which is important to me.

1) Dedolight DLED2.1 Bi-Color LED.
This ones main advantage is very small size which is important for me in weddings.

2) Kinotehnik Practilite 602 LED Fresnel.
This one to me seems better in every way except just a little bigger. Has wifi control which can be a very big advantage to control the head from distance.

Does anyone know how they compare in light power output? Can't find that spec for either light lol.
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

well..I got a FotodioX Pro LED-312DS Bi-Color LED Photo Video Light Kit from B&H to mount on the camera and I also have a couple of LEDs Aputure Amaran AL-528W with stands when needed.I was on budget and couldn't afford anything more expensive. They have worked great for a while now.
of course they are entry level prosumer LEDs...but work fine and the colour temperature is good.
E
Old July 14th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Erick, the problem with most panel lights is the uncontrollable spill and the relatively short throw. To get enough light at the dance floor (from a panel light), you need to crank it full, and that destroys any ambiance set by the lighting designer, venue or coordinator. It makes for a very flat looking image as well, and doesn't flare nicely (if you're going for that look). Hard lights, especially fresnels, can put more lumens at a distance while minimizing spill. That means, you can crank up the power, but not blind your guests, or destroy a candle-lit semi-dark room. Higher end weddings typically employ a light plan, so if you want to be recommended by these types of venues or coordinators, you'll have to learn to dial down the ambient. Having the remote capability is a big plus, since you'll also want these mounted as high as possible. A 2 meter lightstand won't cut the mustard, since you'll be getting a harsh light that crosses the entire room. Putting it up high and directed downwards means the person in the spotlight doesn't squint as much either.
Old July 14th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Erick, the problem with most panel lights is the uncontrollable spill and the relatively short throw. To get enough light at the dance floor (from a panel light), you need to crank it full, and that destroys any ambiance set by the lighting designer, venue or coordinator. It makes for a very flat looking image as well, and doesn't flare nicely (if you're going for that look). Hard lights, especially fresnels, can put more lumens at a distance while minimizing spill. That means, you can crank up the power, but not blind your guests, or destroy a candle-lit semi-dark room. Higher end weddings typically employ a light plan, so if you want to be recommended by these types of venues or coordinators, you'll have to learn to dial down the ambient. Having the remote capability is a big plus, since you'll also want these mounted as high as possible. A 2 meter lightstand won't cut the mustard, since you'll be getting a harsh light that crosses the entire room. Putting it up high and directed downwards means the person in the spotlight doesn't squint as much either.

Good points Oren,

So, basically you would recommend a Fresnel Spotlight placed very high in the background aimed at the dance floor for lighting dances right?
What about speeches though?

I saw some videos where they recommend using area lights for key and spotlights for hairs light for speeches, but following your own logic of not blinding guests I see no reason not to use just a spotlight both for speaker key and also hair/kicker light.

Is there any problem using spotlight for speeches too? I know area lights might be bigger and create better highlights but having less spill is a big advantage and I am willing to sacrifice some quality of light for that...
Old July 16th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #12
Major Player

I mostly shoot solo, and don't have the ability to carry fresnels & stands in addition to what I'm already carrying, especially considering more weddings in my area are now in Center City, where I pay a hefty fee to park my car, then walk blocks to the hotel, blocks to the church, then blocks to the venue. Suddenly I'm 6 blocks away from my car so I cannot run back to pull out more gear. If it was at a country club, where my cars right outside, possibly. Secondly, the thought of a guest tripping over a lights wiring or extension cord just frightens me, so it's a no.

I had a Glide Gear on camera light. It had decent throw & came with 3 filters, clear/flourescent, amber/tungsten, and pinkish. Worked well, but recently I switched over to a Luxli Multi Color LED. So far, it's been impressive. Has an easy tuning knob to adjust brightness, and one for setting (indoor/outdoor via color temperature. However, that can be switched over to adjust into a vast array of RGB colors with nearly any mix available to choose. You can really fine tune it, the dial has I believe 360 settings to select from.

Drawback is it has an app for iOS, but not Android (yet). Supposedly they are working on it, but I bought it anyway. Benefit of the app is mostly you can take a picture, and it determines the room color for you, which I would think could be a nice asset. You can also quickly adjust color quickly by tapping a color picker/wheel. Cool, not sure it's needed as more for weddings formal events tho (toasts, 1st dance etc)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
Good points Oren,

So, basically you would recommend a Fresnel Spotlight placed very high in the background aimed at the dance floor for lighting dances right?
What about speeches though?

I saw some videos where they recommend using area lights for key and spotlights for hairs light for speeches, but following your own logic of not blinding guests I see no reason not to use just a spotlight both for speaker key and also hair/kicker light.

Is there any problem using spotlight for speeches too? I know area lights might be bigger and create better highlights but having less spill is a big advantage and I am willing to sacrifice some quality of light for that...
At weddings, I nearly always recommend fresnels for lighting, because of the issues previously mentioned. In a perfect world, you could use a 3' softbox 4 feet from your subject and get some gorgeous lighting, but weddings are not a studio event, and hard lights are the norm when a lighting company is involved. Pin spots on the cake table, the centerpieces and head table are quite common at higher end weddings. The thing they leave out is the toasts (unless you can get involved early somehow and direct them with your request). Your own fresnels will fit in with the existing spot lighting, and if you control the toast location, you can pre-light the area with key (and hairlight if time and room allows). It's a hassle, and sometimes impossible given the constraints of the room. But if you're prepared, or can incorporate an assistant, then you'll see some amazing results. Having remote-controlled lights are a big help here, as you'll often find that the coordinator wants the lights off (again, for ambience). I leave the lights at 20-40% power when the guests walk in. That way, they have no idea that they are my lights or anything unusual. When needed, boost the power and then bring them down afterwards. Everyone's happy and your results will look great.
Consider picking up a few Cardelliini (or Mathhellini) clamps. If there is an existing lighting tree, you won't even have to put up your own light stand, just clamp onto the existing structure.
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
At weddings, I nearly always recommend fresnels for lighting, because of the issues previously mentioned. In a perfect world, you could use a 3' softbox 4 feet from your subject and get some gorgeous lighting, but weddings are not a studio event, and hard lights are the norm when a lighting company is involved. Pin spots on the cake table, the centerpieces and head table are quite common at higher end weddings. The thing they leave out is the toasts (unless you can get involved early somehow and direct them with your request). Your own fresnels will fit in with the existing spot lighting, and if you control the toast location, you can pre-light the area with key (and hairlight if time and room allows). It's a hassle, and sometimes impossible given the constraints of the room. But if you're prepared, or can incorporate an assistant, then you'll see some amazing results. Having remote-controlled lights are a big help here, as you'll often find that the coordinator wants the lights off (again, for ambience). I leave the lights at 20-40% power when the guests walk in. That way, they have no idea that they are my lights or anything unusual. When needed, boost the power and then bring them down afterwards. Everyone's happy and your results will look great.
Consider picking up a few Cardelliini (or Mathhellini) clamps. If there is an existing lighting tree, you won't even have to put up your own light stand, just clamp onto the existing structure.
Yep makes perfect sense, thanks!
Last bit is deciding on Fresnel lights.

I have been considering Dedolights DLED 2.1 and while they are super portable I think I might skip it because they have no remote control ability...

For remote Fresnel LED's, I am torn between getting a "Kinoteknic Practilite 602" and "LEDGO LG-D600C".
Both are LED, Fresnel and have remote control. Main reason I am leaning more towards LEDGO is because I already have one of their area big panel LED lights with remote so if I get LEDGO spot both can work well together in non-wedding situations. Also LEDGO can run on Sony NP batteries with V-Mount adapter whereas Kinotechik runs on V-mount batteries which are crazy expensive!
Old July 16th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #15
Major Player

I've seen the Practilite 602 in action (but don't own one). I haven't seen the Ledgo yet. But you might have already read this review here: LEDGO LG-D600C bi-colour LED fresnel light - review - Newsshooter

You'll have a trade-off with either one, so it might just come down to budget. Having a dedicated remote is great, since it's quicker to deploy (usually), and won't lose connection as easily as an app. But the Ledgo is heavier and less powerful than the 602.

Although I'm not a big fan of the wi-fi implementation (dongle+app), you have another option in the 100w Came-TV Boltzen fresnel. https://www.came-tv.com/collections/...e-led-bi-color

I have the smaller 55w daylight version, and used it yesterday on a wedding. You lose some power with the CTO color correction, but it still served it's purpose for a reception light. Biggest bummer is that I couldn't use it for the toasts (packed room, no where to mount it away from the dance floor).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques