Best Light for wedding reception/speeches - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Best Light for wedding reception/speeches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I've seen the Practilite 602 in action (but don't own one). I haven't seen the Ledgo yet. But you might have already read this review here: LEDGO LG-D600C bi-colour LED fresnel light - review - Newsshooter

You'll have a trade-off with either one, so it might just come down to budget. Having a dedicated remote is great, since it's quicker to deploy (usually), and won't lose connection as easily as an app. But the Ledgo is heavier and less powerful than the 602.

Although I'm not a big fan of the wi-fi implementation (dongle+app), you have another option in the 100w Came-TV Boltzen fresnel. https://www.came-tv.com/collections/...e-led-bi-color

I have the smaller 55w daylight version, and used it yesterday on a wedding. You lose some power with the CTO color correction, but it still served it's purpose for a reception light. Biggest bummer is that I couldn't use it for the toasts (packed room, no where to mount it away from the dance floor).

Well yes, according to testing LED GO is aaround 4,000 LUX weaker in Spot mode but 1,000 LUX stronger in Flood mode compared to practilite 602.
Comparable performance for the most part I would say.
The biggest thing holding me back from getting 602 are the super expensive V-Mount batteries even more so than the fact that I already have 1 LED GO light. Is there any workaround to getting V-Log batteries? Yes, I could just use wall AC but having battery option is good. Maybe I could buy those car batteries and use it as a battery haha!

Yes, LED GO is considerably heavier/bigger but will go in a corner of the room anyways most likely so weight not a big issue hopefully...
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Major Player

V-mount batteries are proven workhorses, and there aren't too many compact options available that will give you as much amperage/dollar. I have portable battery packs with built in inverters, but they are expensive, and you have to account for energy loss due to power factor conversion. Thankfully, there are plenty of reasonably priced v-mount batteries available now. Much more so than when I first started using them in the early 2000's.
Like I said before, it all comes down to what shortcomings you're willing to live with.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
V-mount batteries are proven workhorses, and there aren't too many compact options available that will give you as much amperage/dollar. I have portable battery packs with built in inverters, but they are expensive, and you have to account for energy loss due to power factor conversion. Thankfully, there are plenty of reasonably priced v-mount batteries available now. Much more so than when I first started using them in the early 2000's.
Like I said before, it all comes down to what shortcomings you're willing to live with.

H@@@m, thinking more and more I might just go with Kinotechnik Practilite 602 and just get a V-Mount battery. Seems like the most no-no compromise option out there.
It's a small light yet powerful.

Do you have any particular suggestions for V-Mount batteries?
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #19
Major Player

I have an older set that works fine, but there are cheaper options available. Haven't done any comparisons, so you're best off doing some research online. This is what I have: https://batteries4broadcast.com/coll...s/best-sellers
Old July 19th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have an older set that works fine, but there are cheaper options available. Haven't done any comparisons, so you're best off doing some research online. This is what I have: https://batteries4broadcast.com/coll...s/best-sellers

Hi Oren,
So basically I took the plung and ordered not 1 but 2 Kinotehnik Practilite 602 lights.
My only concern now is how to make them battery operated in cases I need portability.

V-Mount battery is recommended but as I have no use for V-Moutn battery other than the lights, I wonder if I could use other batteries instead that would cost me way cheaper and also potentially have way more power and last longer?

602 seems to be powered by 12-28 VDC, Power Consumption (max): 85W (90 W). Doesn't any battery that can support that be good enough to power it?
It uses 4 pin female XLR input for light, so getting a cable couldn't I connect it to any battery that can support that kind of power draw?
Batteries like these just to give 2 examples.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...A2LTP4IRWNF1QK
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...G78CAIWF&psc=1
Old July 19th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have the 602 and it is a great light. You will need to power form a v-mount or D tap camera battery of 90Wh or more - preferably 160Wh or better. It draws a fair amount of power with a 90Wh operating for about 1.5 hours depending on the 602's light output you have it adjusted to. I use it for receptions and interviews.
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
Hi Oren,
So basically I took the plung and ordered not 1 but 2 Kinotehnik Practilite 602 lights.
My only concern now is how to make them battery operated in cases I need portability.

V-Mount battery is recommended but as I have no use for V-Moutn battery other than the lights, I wonder if I could use other batteries instead that would cost me way cheaper and also potentially have way more power and last longer?

602 seems to be powered by 12-28 VDC, Power Consumption (max): 85W (90 W). Doesn't any battery that can support that be good enough to power it?
It uses 4 pin female XLR input for light, so getting a cable couldn't I connect it to any battery that can support that kind of power draw?
Batteries like these just to give 2 examples.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...A2LTP4IRWNF1QK
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...G78CAIWF&psc=1
I'm not a battery guru, nor an electronics technician, but my guess is that those portable jump-starter batteries aren't meant for continuous high-amperage loads and will either overheat or cut power prematurely. The v-mounts are proven technology, very mature and made to handle extended draw. If you find better and cheaper DC solutions, let us all know.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Young View Post
I have the 602 and it is a great light. You will need to power form a v-mount or D tap camera battery of 90Wh or more - preferably 160Wh or better. It draws a fair amount of power with a 90Wh operating for about 1.5 hours depending on the 602's light output you have it adjusted to. I use it for receptions and interviews.

Quote:
I'm not a battery guru, nor an electronics technician, but my guess is that those portable jump-starter batteries aren't meant for continuous high-amperage loads and will either overheat or cut power prematurely. The v-mounts are proven technology, very mature and made to handle extended draw. If you find better and cheaper DC solutions, let us all know.
Well there might be another way other than to use V-Mount batteries.

I could buy this V-Mount to Sony NP style adapters which will allow me to mount 2 to NP batteries together and use as V-Mount battery.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...p_battery.html

Each NP battery is 7.4V, so together they will add up to 15V which is enough to power the light.
However, I am not sure if it will satisfy the 90kwh of the 602 light.
Each NP battery is around 63kwh, so when I add the 2 up I am not sure if the 2 63kqw add up together for sufficient 116kwh or the adapter stays at 63kwh, in which case it don't be powerfull enough battery for the light…

Already contacted Kinotehnik asking this question and waiting their reply.
Old July 21st, 2017, 07:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Just a quick question guys.
If I am planning to do spotlight lighting for dances/toasts during wedding with 602 LED lights, how high of light stands should I get?

I can get a 95 inch (2.4m) or 120 inch (3m) or 145 inch (3.6m).
Yes, taller is probably better but they are heavier too so trying to figure optimal size/height light stand for my purpose.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:43 AM   #25
Major Player

Taller stands are better in my opinion, but weight does become an issue. I don't think I've gone much above 3 meters. Sometimes I even go shorter on purpose if I want some lens flare. That being said, the higher the light, the less squinting from the person in the light. This is most noticeable during toasts. You'll also be able to throw the shadows lower, which is handy if they're close to a wall.

Ultimately, like with the choice of lighting instruments, you have to determine which compromise to accept.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:53 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Taller stands are better in my opinion, but weight does become an issue. I don't think I've gone much above 3 meters. Sometimes I even go shorter on purpose if I want some lens flare. That being said, the higher the light, the less squinting from the person in the light. This is most noticeable during toasts. You'll also be able to throw the shadows lower, which is handy if they're close to a wall.

Ultimately, like with the choice of lighting instruments, you have to determine which compromise to accept.
Makes sense, I think 3 meter sound like a good height/weight compromise.
Thanks Oren for all your help, really appreciate it!
Old July 21st, 2017, 02:24 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Kinotechnik 602 Practilite has 5/8" (Baby) mount and the light stand I want to get (Cheetah Stand Auto folding stands) have 1/4-20 stud.
Will the 602 light be able to be attached to Cheetah Stand light?
Old July 21st, 2017, 05:16 PM   #28
Major Player

I'm guessing it would, most 1/4-20 studs are surrounded by a larger pin. If not, there are always swivel mounts available and adaptors for nearly every size.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I have an Aputure 672s that I've tried on one wedding during the dancing portion. Worked well, and the remote was a godsend. Haven't tried for speeches. Going to do that today.

It's less flood-y than most panels, but still not focused like a fresnel.

For an on camera light, I don't think there's anything better than an F&V r300 with milk diffusor.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #30
Regular Crew

The problem I have with investing in some kind of lighting on tripod is that some kid will run into it or trip up over it - very easy in many venues I do, especially with a lack of space and poor lighting. I just can't bring myself to invest in tripod mounted lighting because I don't want that kind of risk, especially when people are drinking during the reception.

I tend to ask the venue to keep the lights bright enough for the first few dances and adjust the lighting a little in Premiere Pro if I need to - that way I can relax while filming as I know I don't have equipment lying around and setup is obviously simplified too.
Lewis Raymond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques