Adding portable sound system option? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Adding portable sound system option?

Hi again all, I have been thinking about adding an option to my services where they can rent a portable sound system for their wedding. I used a Fender Passport system at a corporate event once and was really impressed.
Here is the one I'm looking at: Fender Passport Venue
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1054377-REG/fender_passport_venue_passport_event_600_watts_120v.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

There have been times in the past where I was asked if we provide sound and we don't. So my thinking is this would help in some cases. A bride might not have the funds to hire a full-on DJ and then this would be a cheaper way for them to get sound. For instance I've been to some weddings where they just had a friend play songs from their phone on a portable radio. Or they've rented a system and did the same. It wasn't as polished as a DJ doing it but they were able to play songs for each part.

I could supply the system and my crew set it up. They could play their own music through it via their mobile devices they have. I could even supply a wireless mic they could use for announcements.
During the ceremony I could even offer a sound feed from the lavs going though the system so the audience can hear the vows which they usually can't.

This would benefit me because I could tap into it with a recorder and have control instead of always having to sweet talk the DJ for a line out feed.

I don't want to offer DJ services because then I'd have to have a talented DJ on staff and deal with music licensing but all that is bypassed if I just supply the system and they play their own music. This could be an option that would be nice for some situations. What do you think?
Also, I'm wondering if the 600watt system is powerful enough?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Adding portable sound system option?

My personal opinion, every wedding with an 'Ipod' just didnt work. Too much time in between songs, friend cant find the song they want so 2 minutes of dead airtime, empty dance floor etc. You'll be known as the guy who provides cheesy DJ services, not a great videograper who also helps out so much with music as a courtesy. Also, it,'ll show in your video how empty the dance floor was, remindind them of it 3 months after they tried to forget.

Do it if you want. I wouldn't, imho it brings your value down afterwards, not up. My goal is to be the best vendor there, or at least hang with them. If a DJ or photog is just bad, not my problem. Brides seem to reach out and thank me. ( Not saying Im always the best, but Ive never been a flop)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi David

Although 99% of our weddings here are civil and mostly outdoor every officiant will have their own PA system BUT these vary from the professional to the pathetic but most good celebrant will use a MiPro portable PA on a proper stand (the decent ones cost around $1000) However that doesn't mean the music will be OK does it? I few of our top people will also have a roadie who cues the music (often supplied by the bride on a cell phone) but most don't so an affordable ceremony DJ would be a good thing ..I have shot many weddings where the music abruptly stopped halfway thru the bridal entrance or didn't start at all.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey David,

I can't tell you about your wedding business but I did have a Fender Passport for many years. I had the first generation of the one you posted. Yes, 600W is going to put out a lot of sound for the average (?) wedding. And for doing low end music the way you describe it will be fine for that too.

A Fender Passport is a beast of a tool. It is a durable all in one portable sound system that does a lot of things reasonably well. Like a lot of all-in-devices there are compromises. You are not going to get concert quality sound out of it. But will it sound good enough for a low budget wedding? Absolutely. They actually sound pretty good for what they are.

I used mine for well over ten 10 years in a multitude of situations. Eventually the amp went out on it. But it was highly abused by being shipped around the country. They are very good all purpose PA systems for a low price.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques