grooms prep to elvis..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Major Player

grooms prep to elvis.....

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=A0E166F9F7D06244

Comments please.

Groom picked the song and wanted this sort of feel :(
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Paul,

I love that song.....it's the theme song for show Las Vegas. As for the shots, too much wide shooting in general, try to mix up your footage with medium and tights shots with some movement as well. The good thing about tight and medium shots is that they hide the ugly backgrounds.
Did you shoot tight and nedium shots but just didn't use them???

Also, when choosing music, try to pick songs that fit the scene/subject matter......I don't think that song works best for your edit only because that particular Elvis tune is "flashy" and the footage did not look that way.

Opps....didn't realize the groom picked the tune.......but in any case, I think with moving shots, pans, zooms, tight stuff, etc......you could have added a "flashier" style to your edit.

Try practicing what I just said with a friend, whoever.......have them get ready for a faux event or something and try mixing up your shots, then edit it.....I would bet anything you'll be much more happy with the results. It ads variety.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much Joe,
I will practice that more from now on, it was my frist wedding and I was more nervous than the groom. I tried to stay back from them so as to blend in more but it did make for bad footage and I know that now.

Thanks for your advice.
Paul
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Major Player

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=748B29874F892EFD

This is another one a week later, a bit of improvement......maybe.
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Paul,

I can apreciate what you said about it being your first wedding and you were neverous......considering that, you did pretty good.....just the fact that your camera was rolling:) just kidding!

The more you shoot weddings the less vervous you'll be as with most things in general, but don;t ever get too comfortable......live action requires you to be on your toes and ready for anything.

I liked the fact that you had common courtesy to try to stay in the background apposed to being in everyone's space. What you'll learn in time is to continue doing that when you can but also shoot tighter from a distance, that is a great way to capture emotions from people...since they most likely wont even know the camera is rolling on them at the time.

Keep it up!
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
Hey Paul,

I can apreciate what you said about it being your first wedding and you were neverous......considering that, you did pretty good.....just the fact that your camera was rolling:) just kidding!

The more you shoot weddings the less vervous you'll be as with most things in general, but don;t ever get too comfortable......live action requires you to be on your toes and ready for anything.

I liked the fact that you had common courtesy to try to stay in the background apposed to being in everyone's space. What you'll learn in time is to continue doing that when you can but also shoot tighter from a distance, that is a great way to capture emotions from people...since they most likely wont even know the camera is rolling on them at the time.

Keep it up!

Very true Joe, it'll take experience at the end of the day. Its not what I normally shoot but I really like that type of work compared to the foot-ball matches and dinner dances I would normally do.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques