Bad singer at the reception. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 6th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I had one singer who sounded like a dying moose in heat

Picture that
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Calalang
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of wedding tapes to edit. One of the clips had a woman sing a dedication to the couple. However...she was so off tune I wasn't sure whether I should put her in the movie or not. She'd have definitely made the American Idol Flunky highlight reels.

NOTE: I didn't have any communication with the couple. I asked my friend to call the couple and ask if I should edit her out. He told me to put her in the movie since she was a relative.

So I ask you guys, what would you do in a situation like this?
If they want her in, she stays in. If they didn't care or don't want her, she goes into deleted scenes (special feature).
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Anybody know of any decent affordable pitch correction software?
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Melodyne is the best there is.
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Bad Singer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
Joe:

I never release the original footage to the couple, even if they are willing to pay.
Can I ask why?

Thanks!
Dave Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #21
Major Player

You can easily repitch audio, but it also breaks up audio into individual elements. Sort of like reverse engineering a composite (ie: seperating vocals from the guitar from the bass from the drums, etc).
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Or, you could have real fun with it, and capture some of the American Idol judges giving funny looks and feedback on her performance. Of course, some of the family might not get the joke, and American Idol/Fox would have a case... but it would be funny :)
LMAO!!! Nice one !
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins
Melodyne is the best there is.
Hmm....I should check that out. Is it easy to learn?
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #24
Major Player

If you know audio editing it's not that difficult to figure out. To get an idea of the power of this program (I have nothing to do with it if it matters - it's just f'ing amazing :>) check out the videos:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=256
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Ridiculing a guest in the wedding video is cruel and bad business. The groom may have loved the slo-mo of the overweight cousin, but the bride must have hated it. You could have cut from the bride tossing the bouquet to the the cousin holding the bouquet later.

For the bad singer, include 10 or 15 seconds, enough to document that she sang but not enough to be irritating.
John Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #26
Major Player

I aggree with John Bennett....also, you never know who's trolling these forums or the net in general, what if one of your clients were to find a post you made reagrding their wedding and you were slamming them....definately not good for business. If you find yourself with "odd" video clips that don;t make sense to add them in the "main play" of the dvd.....make submenu options out of them, this way they are included but do not disrupt the overall flow of the mainplay video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bennett
Ridiculing a guest in the wedding video is cruel and bad business. The groom may have loved the slo-mo of the overweight cousin, but the bride must have hated it. You could have cut from the bride tossing the bouquet to the the cousin holding the bouquet later.

For the bad singer, include 10 or 15 seconds, enough to document that she sang but not enough to be irritating.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #27
Inner Circle

For any really questionable shots I always consult the B&G on whether or not and how to include them. Last wedding I edited both families went out golfing and one the bride's close friends hit from the tee without her top on. I was going to use a black bar to make the shot more decent (she's was wearing a sports bra, so it wasn't THAT risky).

However, I decided to call the bride and get her opinion. She said to do it without the black bar (go figure). Never hurts to ask your client if you're unsure.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #28
Major Player

At my step-daughter's wedding they had a karaoke segment at the reception, and one guy got up there and belted out "I Believe I Can Fly". He started off all right, but when the chorus came around he was way off (and by the expressions on his face, obviously didn't know it)---this was the point at which I couldn't help but throw in a clip from the Road Runner cartoon where Wile E. Coyote finds himself in mid air and starts flapping his arms like crazy, of course only to fall a zillion feet to the ground with a 'poof' and cloud of dust. It went over well, but I don't know if I would pull something like that if I wasn't sure how it would go over. Hey, I could have titled the segment "I Believe I Can Sing". Maybe as an alternate version with a menu selection, as mentioned before.
Don't tell W.B. on me...

Last edited by Vincent Croce; February 15th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
I aggree with John Bennett....also, you never know who's trolling these forums or the net in general, what if one of your clients were to find a post you made reagrding their wedding and you were slamming them....definately not good for business.
Hmmm....good point. Luckily they don't know their camera man didn't tell them who edited their movie. And the singer could easily throw me over her shoulder like a backpak.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques