Bad singer at the reception. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad singer at the reception.

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of wedding tapes to edit. One of the clips had a woman sing a dedication to the couple. However...she was so off tune I wasn't sure whether I should put her in the movie or not. She'd have definitely made the American Idol Flunky highlight reels.

NOTE: I didn't have any communication with the couple. I asked my friend to call the couple and ask if I should edit her out. He told me to put her in the movie since she was a relative.

So I ask you guys, what would you do in a situation like this?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Put it in. They can always look back and laugh! Maybe don't use the whole thing though. It isn't your fault that she is rubbish.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Or, you could have real fun with it, and capture some of the American Idol judges giving funny looks and feedback on her performance. Of course, some of the family might not get the joke, and American Idol/Fox would have a case... but it would be funny :)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Make a DVD menu "option" out of the singer......we do this sort of thing all the time with "full toasts" and any other unusual clips that do not make sense in placing them in the "main play" of the video......we use highlights of toasts for main play and make the entire toast a menu option since toasts can get really long at times. good luck-
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

or..........................you could have a little fun with effects, reverb, pitch etc in the audio and see if you can improve it. Similar example, I had really crappy sound track in a wedding, the singers were distorted, so I eased back on the vocal/sound track a little, and dubed over the same sound track. It made a big difference. SO you might be able to pound away at the audio with some mixing and make a small improvement.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

excellent...........I'll pencil this into my brain for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Or, you could have real fun with it, and capture some of the American Idol judges giving funny looks and feedback on her performance. Of course, some of the family might not get the joke, and American Idol/Fox would have a case... but it would be funny :)

Yes, this would be a riot.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Yes, this would be a riot.
I realise it was my idea, but be sure to check with both families, to be sure it won't cause problems.

A friend of mine taped our wedding, and my Brother-in-Law performed the ceremony. After the vows, as my new wife and I were walking back to the hall for the reception, my friend caught my sister talking with my Brother-in-Law, saying she "was getting as many pictures as possible, so that they can remember who married them after they get divorced".

Weeeeeeeell! I sort of chuckled as I stumbled across this, and even tweaked the volume a bit... just to be sure of what I had heard. Then, I made two versions, the short and sweet version, and gave her an extended version, which included her comment... boosted enough to be clearly heard.

But, that is just me.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:

But, that is just me.
Hey Keith, I have a practice of doing test tape roles prior to the wedding starting, (mainly for audio purposes)

And I'll have the groom mic on at that point. I tell ya, I have had some interesting conversations between 'the guys' recorded. Funny stuff.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Hey Keith, I have a practice of doing test tape roles prior to the wedding starting, (mainly for audio purposes)

And I'll have the groom mic on at that point. I tell ya, I have had some interesting conversations between 'the guys' recorded. Funny stuff.
Of course, being a guy yourself, you don't let this stuff get through to the bride, do ya? I'm sure some of it could be disasterous!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Of course, being a guy yourself, you don't let this stuff get through to the bride, do ya? I'm sure some of it could be disasterous!
I only added one silly line about the groom finding out from another party member that the bride was reading a magazine prior to the ceremony. Since this was a relative, they thought it was a riot. The groom's line was, "She's reading a magazine? That figures."
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
As a further question, what do you do when the couple requests all of the raw footage and this kind of stuff happens? There is no way that I would go through and "strip" audio out of master tapes, nor would I delete this. But I also don't like putting other guys in the dog house!
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Joe:

Is the friend that gave you the tapes paying you? If so, I would do as he requests. If the couple is paying you, then I would confirm with them. It sounds like the former is the case.

Patrick:

I never release the original footage to the couple, even if they are willing to pay.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
Joe:

Is the friend that gave you the tapes paying you? If so, I would do as he requests. If the couple is paying you, then I would confirm with them. It sounds like the former is the case.

Patrick:

I never release the original footage to the couple, even if they are willing to pay.
Yes. My friend paid me to edit this for him.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #14
Inner Circle

hahahahaha
this has happened so many times..

alot of my clients are churchgoers and are a part of certain communities where they do "favours" for each other..

no joke, one woman sounded like an injured sparrow.. another sounded like a clubbed baby seal, and the latest one sounded like a cat thats jsut been hit by a bus...

No amount of AutoTune(a plugin for ProTools) could fix it..
i leave these in either way. I also offer an additional audio track if the clients are nice enough about it, coz i DO tel them about the performance, coz to them, the performance itself is more important than the talent...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I'm not a wedding videographer, but I did shoot a wedding for a friend once. When the bride threw the bouquet, her rather... large cousin leaped to grab it and crashed to the floor. In the video, I put a slow-mo replay of the action. It was hilarious. The groom loved it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques