Mic on the bride - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
We bought XLR splitter boxes and if the church is running their own sound, we can usually arrange to split the mic signal just before it goes into their sound board, allowing us to record each mic seperately, without any concern of what the guy running the churches board might do.
Good idea... I'll have to keep that in mind
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #47
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
We bought XLR splitter boxes and if the church is running their own sound, we can usually arrange to split the mic signal just before it goes into their sound board, allowing us to record each mic seperately, without any concern of what the guy running the churches board might do.
Well... from experience on the other side (yes... I'm the soundman that runs sound "each week" but I'm also the soundman that connected all of the wires in our current system), I wouldn't let a videographer mess with the inputs to my sound board. Many sound boards have a direct output per channel. With a quick test, I would allow connecting there.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Well... from experience on the other side (yes... I'm the soundman that runs sound "each week" but I'm also the soundman that connected all of the wires in our current system), I wouldn't let a videographer mess with the inputs to my sound board. Many sound boards have a direct output per channel. With a quick test, I would allow connecting there.
Usually, the soundmen that understand signal flow, understand something about running sound. When boards do have direct outs on each channel (especially pre-fader) it makes the job alot easier for everyone.

If I were you I wouldn't let a videographer mess with the I/O on my board either. For as many videographers who know what they are doing, there are 3x that many who don't.

If I plan on recording anything through the churches sound system I always contact the church and the soundman in advance. I talk things over with the tech (some aren't very technical/some are), usually find a manual for their board, analyze the best options, talk with them again, work something out, attend the rehearsal, and then arrive plenty early before the wedding to test thorougly. Their job is just as important as mine and I would never jeopardize that.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #49
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
If I plan on recording anything through the churches sound system I always contact the church and the soundman in advance. I talk things over with the tech (some aren't very technical/some are), usually find a manual for their board, analyze the best options, talk with them again, work something out, attend the rehearsal, and then arrive plenty early before the wedding to test thorougly. Their job is just as important as mine and I would never jeopardize that.
That sounds like the best option - plan ahead of time. Right now we're in the process of building a new sanctuary. When it's done, we'll have signal running to the soundboard and an identical signal running to the "video room" (as well as a mix signal) so at some point in the future the video room can mix it's own audio. In our case, that would be an excellent place for people like you to get a signal - until we get a board there connected. If a board is already connected, you could actually run your own sound from that location.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Matt,
As a church soundman I would be delighted if someone called ahead of time and showed up with splitters. The last time someone wanted to patch into our board they showed up with a 6' RCA to stereo 1/8" cord. I have the equipment to hook them up but not 10 minutes before the wedding.

A note to Peter, your mics could not cause feedback unless they went through the PA. They might cause drop outs or splitting but not feedback.

Sam Gates
Sam Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #51
Major Player

My interest in audio led to my introduction to video. Because of this I tend to take audio very seriously. To me getting the best audio is more important than getting a good picture, though I strive to get both. Good audio makes a video infinitely better.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I dont see what the problem is fitting a mic to a bride. Either cover the lavier in fabric similar to the dress,or color with paint so its not distracting.Now the fun part is fitting the mic between her boobs.That all depends on what type of dress and bra setup she's wearing. Sure, you might get a bit of squelching when she walks, but during the important vows , she'll hardly be moving.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #53
Major Player

The 'squelching' will be when you try to fit her with the mic and body pack. Let's see...do they make tulle colored stage tape?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #54
Inner Circle

I'd like to see video of when a videographer explains to a bride that he would like to place a mic between her breasts.
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Of course, Mr. Videographer explaining to the groom where he'd like to place that mic would make for more of an action scene.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #56
Inner Circle

LOL, no doubt. I'm thinking about promoting the "boob mic" service on my website from now on . . . complete with a free fitting session . . .
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
Matt, thanks for that clip. I think you are the only one to point out the reason why micing the groom works for all three. The mic near the groom's pocket or flower keeps it far enough from his mouth that it reduces overmodulation. The bride is usually shorter and facing directly toward the mic. This keeps her levels fairly high. The officiants are accustomed to speaking before a crowd. They may almost be too loud all the way over at the groom's lapel. Any mic that is more than 6 inches from a person's mouth will pick up other people in the room coughing, so you really can't work around the sick and the dying (that's what it seems like sometimes). Why can't people go hack up a loogy outside?
Be careful with the flowers - I have a wonderful clip of groom audio brushing up against his corsage where everytime he moves you get a nice crunching sound from the mic as it rubs the flower. This is not something that you can pull out in post either especially when someone is talking at the same time.

ML
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #58
Inner Circle

I was using an iPod at a wedding once as a trial to see what kind of sound I could get from it. The officiant, two minutes before the ceremony was supposed to start, was fiddling with it in his pocket for some reason and pulled the cord for the mic right out of the iPod. I got no sound from it and it was the last test I did with it.

d:-)
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #59
Trustee

Yes, put the mic NEAR the flower, but don't let it touch anything. Also, don't even think of putting the mic inside clothing as it will likely sound like someone is bailing hay during your video. Yes, with time and just the right application, you could devise a way to put the mic inside, but there isn't time to go through all that before a wedding. The bride and groom have other things to think about.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
I'd like to see video of when a videographer explains to a bride that he would like to place a mic between her breasts.
Yet it is a very common placement of lavs for theatrical and broadcast productions. For example, I saw on another discussion site a mention by Mick Fowler that that's where he often mics the female principals on "CSI." Of course, they and their wardrobe assistants have been taught how to do the actual placing of the mics themselves. But you might be surprised how matter of factly many women would treat such an option if presented in a professional manner as just one more of several options for them to choose from, each with their own pros and cons.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques