For The Bridal Show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

For The Bridal Show

Hey guys, we are about to participate in a few bridal shows and I was just wondering if any of you would like to share some ideas from past experiences that you've had from shows that were successful and those that weren't successful. I would really like to get the most out of these shows as we are trying to book as many jobs as we can this summer. Thanks in advance!

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Eric...out of curiosity....what's the space rent at your bridal show?? I have been planning on going to one....as a visitor and not a vendor, just to check it out and see how things are. If it seems ok...we may rent a booth sometime. In california.....there are bridal expos all the time and all over the place.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Eric,
Bridal shows can be tricky. One of the most common complaints that we heard from previous brides were that the vendors had little interest in the brides. When we do them my wife and I will get excited and ask questions about date, planning, etc. Your first impression on them means more than your demo video, keep in mind that they will only see about 20-30 seconds of video before they are herded to the next booth. We did a show in November and booked ten weddings within the next month, and most never saw the whole demo but remebered how interested we were in them. If you can remember names you have them hooked. Your video is amazing stuff so wow them with yoiur personality. Aslo make the booth look nice too, use a woman's touch. We are put next to a decorator on purpose so that we can offer our table for their decorations as well, saves me the hassle and gives them two booths for the price of one.

Just my two cents
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Jason.....YOU "get it", and I like that! Everything you mentioned was EXCELLENT......take note to his input Eric, and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers
Hi Eric,
Bridal shows can be tricky. One of the most common complaints that we heard from previous brides were that the vendors had little interest in the brides. When we do them my wife and I will get excited and ask questions about date, planning, etc. Your first impression on them means more than your demo video, keep in mind that they will only see about 20-30 seconds of video before they are herded to the next booth. We did a show in November and booked ten weddings within the next month, and most never saw the whole demo but remebered how interested we were in them. If you can remember names you have them hooked. Your video is amazing stuff so wow them with yoiur personality. Aslo make the booth look nice too, use a woman's touch. We are put next to a decorator on purpose so that we can offer our table for their decorations as well, saves me the hassle and gives them two booths for the price of one.

Just my two cents
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ya jason, thanks for that, i think that will help a lot. And Joe they tend to run here anywhere from $600 to about $800 depending on size and location of the booth etc.

Eric
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Eric,

I'll try to make it down to the show as I think it would be an honor to meet you and I'd also like to see how these shows go. Any idea when you'll be there and where you'll be? Good luck with the show. Wish I had some advice to give. I think getting a woman's touch on your booth is a great idea. My wife has much better ideas than I have, so I try to listen to her. She has yet to steer me wrong. =)
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike,
I don't know if you've ever been to the show at Thanksgiving Point, but once you go inside the event center you'll head left and well be at the very end on the right side. Hopefully things will go well as we are opening up our photography side as well, the website will be updated soon. I should be there during the whole show, kinda have to with a small crew.

Eric
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the info Eric. I'll try to make it, probably on Saturday. Best of luck with the show and with the opening of your photography section. I think that would bring more jobs in for you. I'll let you know if I'm going to be able to make it or not.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Major Player

I completely forgot about the show. :( How'd you make out Eric? Good turn out, even with the less than perfect weather? This definitely has me curious as I might try to go for the one in the fall.
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Mike,
It went well, I think the weather did make a difference in the number of brides. There was a noticeable difference from the show in January, but overall it went great! We put a little more money into our display and handouts/Demos so we looked a little more how I would like it to eventually look. We signed up one wedding at the show and since have had two more sign up and 2 more have contacted us and are interested so it was a definite success! more than paid for itself. This has just proven my point that if you do a show, it's all about the DEMO!!! if you don't take the time to make a solid Demo and pay to produce a few hundred ... Goodluck!!!

We are still going to participate in two more shows, the provo one, April 8th and the one at the south town expo center, April 21-22, so hopefully we'll be able to sign up some more for this summer.

Thanks for the advise guys, I tried to focus more on the couple and let the demo do the work and so far it's done well.

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Major Player

That's encouraging to hear Eric. I'm glad to hear it went well. If it's all about the demo then you should be a millionaire in no time. =) Seriously, you do good work. I think I'll probably wait until next year to do a show (or maybe hit the Thanksgiving Point one in the fall) but it seems like they can be fruitful. Best of luck to you with the future shows. And I'll echo Rob's question. How many demos did you hand out? Did you have one playing there?
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Regular Crew

We made around 300 copies and ended up passing out a little over 200. I've learned that for me, so far, 300 has been the lucky number. In the January show we passed out a little over 250 and so 300 puts us right in the safe range.
And yes we did have one playing at the show.

Eric
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Trustee

What format are your demos? DVD? CD-ROM? Do they have an interactive menu, or does it simply play a short video?

I'm considering creating an interactive demo on a business-card size CD-ROM. The problem is they hold only 50 mb.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Eric - You keep handing out demos in that kind of quantity, and you'll get business, no doubt. Getting your material viewed will get you bookings (it's that good).

Mike - I still think that footage from the shoot you did, that you posted a sample from a few weeks ago, has all the potential in the world for creating a dynamite demo. You had some fantastic shots in there.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM   #15
Major Player

Thank you Robert. I appreciate it. I really need to get myself out there in order to book shows, but I just haven't really gone for it. I should. I've thought about creating a demo on those small DVD's (the mini sized ones) just to pass out to anyone I talk to about wedding videos. I think it might make me seem desperate though. One thing I've done is load up a demo on my video iPod and if anyone starts to me about videos I show them a short demo (under 3 minutes). I should cut something together with the new material though.

On a side note (not trying to derail the thread), I finally revived that hard drive Rob and I've got that song. I'll try to cut to it this week and see how it turns out. I'll let you know.

One more question for Eric. Did you create the 300 discs? Or did you have a company burn them for you? If so, did you stay local with that? Any suggestions on good pricing/quality?
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques