I am in Love at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I am in Love

I am in love with the I-river 895 with a Giant Squid lav mic. I used one for the first time this sunday with a line level of 50 and am very impressed. Anyone who has not considered this is missing the boat. I used it on the officiant and he was impressed with the size and recording time and the fact I could lock down the setting and he couldn't screw it up. Thanks Glen and others for sharing the I-river idea with me. I owe you!!!
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey, Dan, did you get a "refurb" IFP-895? I'm curious about a setting on there. I got mine (IFP-899) a couple weeks ago and am trying to record in "mono" but, so far, none of the mono mics I've plugged in will record anything. However, I can switch it to "stereo" and it records fine.

Think it would be the mic? Other than that, I too love my iRiver. I can't get over how tiny the thing is!

Ed.
www.elpilon.com

Last edited by Edward Slonaker; March 14th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Hey, Dan, did you get a "refurb" IFP-895? I'm curious about a setting on there. I got mine a couple weeks ago and am trying to record in "mono" but, so far, none of the mono mics I've plugged in will record anything. However, I can switch it to "stereo" and it records fine.

Think it would be the mic? Other than that, I too love my iRiver. I can't get over how tiny the thing is!
The key is the Giant Squid mic. It's purposely wired BACKWARDS so that it properly works with iRiver (which is backwards to standard). That is what allows the mono setting to work.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ed is correct. Get the Giant Squid mic.
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Excellent! You guys are awesome. Thanks! I was worried that my refurb was jinxed. I called iRiver and they didn't have a clue, ran me through a hundred troubleshooting tests and then gave me an RMA number. About five minutes after that happened was when I discovered it worked in "stereo" mode and was willing to live with that.

I'm going on SquidLabs and ordering now. Woohoo!
www.elpilon.com
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So, just curious, did I miss the boat on the best Iriver for actor recording, such as the one mentioned in this. I was going to get a couple of mp3 recorders as backups for audio. Just curious.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I notice iRiver's taken all of the 800 series player/recorders off their site. They still sell the 700 series, which I understand are just as good.

I got mine off of eBay for $99. It's the IFP-899 (1GB model). I'm very happy with it. The seller, out of Florida, had 25 of 'em and offered a 3-year extended warranty for $9.99. Got that too.

Do a search for "IFP-899" (or "895") and you should see them.
www.elpilon.com
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, I had to do some extensive Ebaying to get a good deal on an iRiver. I finally got an iRiver 795 512MB for 60 dollars. By the way thanks to those who recommended the iRiver/GS combo plus the settings to use.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Can someone tell me what exactly do I require as far as the iRiver and accessories for use in wedding videos to cature BG?

I don't know what a giant squid is!
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #10
Major Player

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

Giant Squid is a brand of microphone. They make one that's specifically designed (for reasons explained above) for the iRiver 700, 800 & 900 series MP3 players/recorders. Click on the link above and it should take you right to 'em.

This arrangement has been suggested as an alternate (backup?) source for capturing the "nuptuals." This is also great for interviews, presentations,...just about any situation where you'd want something small (and, bubba, it is small - about the size of a roll of quarters) to place and capture audio.
www.elpilon.com
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

genuine sites needed for order

Gents - being on the 'wrong side of the pond', I would appreciate input from the folks on the forum as to which sites I could use to order from for overseas despatch for the iRiver - the local folks think I'm looking for some obscure river in Tibet!

And more specifically, which model would be the better one/s to choose from

Many thanks

Cheers
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Is this similar to the Olympus WS 200? That I already have?
http://www.aaaprice.com/ws200s.html

Could I use the Giant Squid with this?
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Giant-Squid-Audio-Lab Links

http://stores.ebay.com/Giant-Squid-Audio-Lab

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/

Darren builds custom mics. Delivery is supersonic. Both of my mics got here just in time to video my sons wedding. I just wish the Sony tech was as fast.

I have a iRiver iFP-790 that I bought on eBay for $50 and it worked flawless with his mics....

Last edited by John L Scott; March 15th, 2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: iRiver-790
John L Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Got my GS iRiver mic (with the right-angle plug) yesterday and it works like a champ AND in MONO mode! *happy dance* Thanks, fellas, my faith in factory refurbs is renewed.
www.elpilon.com
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

That rocks ed!!

Now if more people on this forum took Glen and rest's advice they could be elated just like you. I just used "the combo" to capture some audio from a reporter style interview in 20MPH winds on the Gulf of Mexico and it was flawless. I BELIEVE
Dan Minor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques