slow speed wedding video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 31st, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

slow speed wedding video

I have watched some of the wedding videos that you have posted. It is time for me to edit my wedding video. I am going to use my cousins raw footage of my wedding video. It is not the best, but it will have to do. Most of the wedding videos I have seen move along with the music at a nice slow motion. I like that. I know everyone has there preference.
Since the video wasn't shot in that slow moving fashion, how do I slow it down, so it is nice and smooth?
Just for future reference if I shoot with my cam(I have a GL2 ) what should I do to create this effect before edit? What settings on my GL2 will give me this effect?
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Make sure you shoot normally in 60i and NOT in Frame Mode. Frame Mode looks nice but will severely limit your slow motion capabilities. Then use your NLE to slow it down to 50% or whatever you want.
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As far as the footage has of my already captured, it just needs to be edited. Unfortunatley it wasn't shot in 60i. What can I do to slow down that material?
I use adobe premiere 6.nstc. Do I just slow the whole video down 50%?
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just right-click on whatever clip you want slowed down and change the speed to 50 or whatever you want. Anything slowed down on frame mode footage won't look too smooth though.
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Most editing programs have a slo-mo function. With Vegas, which is what I'm using, you simply hold down Ctrl while dragging the video event until it matches the length of the audio event (be sure your video's running time is shorter than the music). I usually make a raw movie in advance, dissolving between each scene, then I slo-mo the entire thing over whatever song the couple chose. Make slight mods as necessary.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Trustee

Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harmon
Most editing programs have a slo-mo function. With Vegas, which is what I'm using, you simply hold down Ctrl while dragging the video event until it matches the length of the audio event (be sure your video's running time is shorter than the music). I usually make a raw movie in advance, dissolving between each scene, then I slo-mo the entire thing over whatever song the couple chose. Make slight mods as necessary.

I found Vegas to be especially easy at velocity effects, and I tried Avid, Premier, Liquid, and ULead. I usually fit my slo-mo clips in based on what I want to highlight or revisit. Since I shoot with an eye for a long production (60min final edit) I have time to show the kissing scene (for example) first at full speed, and then a slow-motion highlight review to the sounds of walking down the isle (because everyone is clapping and cheering and it fits well).

This means that my work flow does not consist of getting a rough edit together , and then slowing the whole thing down.... that is too simplistic and does not provide for enough of an attention getting affect (in my opinion). I only slow down the parts that need it or demonstrate the emotion of the scene the best.

I use Vegas exclusively, so I cannot coment on the easy with which other NLEs might accomplish the same effects. As far as the shooting type (24p vs interlaced, I don't know if I have quite figured that out yet either. Everything I shot as been on rented equipment, and has not been the same between shoots. Eventually I'll be moving to the GL2 + some wide angle adapter (nothing drastic though).

My $0.02 on the slow-motion is find an emotional message or theme, and then only work in the effect when it feels right. I try not to over use it because that reduces the effectiveness when I need it.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques