New cam can"t decide at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 5th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New cam can"t decide

Hi guys

I am looking a new cam to replace my pd150. Primarily I am looking for the widescreen option. I have been looking at something like the FX1 or XL2 type cam. The fx1 however does not have XLR inputs although I could get a beachtek adapter. However the canon is a bigger cam with a shoulder rest. I like the z1 but dont know if I could stretch to it at the moment. How much better is the z1 over the fx1?

Also I have heard that the canon xl1 used to have audio drift problems as the audio was not locked to the track like the sonys. Anyone know anything about this and is it present on the xl2?
Gary Mckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't know about Xl1 and XL2. I've had the Sony VX2000 for three years with Beachteck, and now use it on the FX1 which I've had about 6 months. Mind you, I don't do wedding presently, have only done prior wedding for family members. FX1 will be a great replacement, in my opinion-especially if you are used to and like the Sony product line. It is a bit less forgiving in the low light area, but almost any other than the VX/PD lines will be a bit less forgiving. I understand there are exceptable results with gain up to 12.
I have never liked the XL form factor.

It seemed to me Canon was just trying to make its camera look different, and thus the different shape, but dedicated users will probably have some basis that the form is a benefit. And there has been some beautiful stuff done with the Xl2.

For 16:9, and staying in the Sony line, it seems like FX1 is the best answer-- unless you are going to go with the older single chip PD10/ TRV950 technology.
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

sorry, double posted
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Trustee

I've been shooting with an XL2 for 1 1/2 years, and it's a fantastic camera.I'm just starting to use the custom pre set functions...it's amazing how many different looks you can get once you start tweaking. The main drawback is the weight and size. I've shot several weddings in the last two months, and you have to be super carefull in hand held with the XL2 (to get a steady image).On tripod or stabilizer, the XL2 is a dream.
I recently bought an FX1 as a second camera, and as a way to get my feet wet in hdv. I like it a lot, and it's smaller and lighter. Unfortunately, it had to be repaired only week after I got it, so I didn't get a chance to really give it a work out.It's awkward using a handycam after a shoulder mount XL2, so I'll need some kind of brace or stabilizer. I bought a steady stick, which is promissing, and I'm looking forward to testing it on the FX1.
Hopefully, I'll have the FX1 back by thursday, and will use it this weekend. I have another wedding on the 16th, but I don't know if I'll try the FX so soon in a pressure situation.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have just ordered the Z1. I think it will be best in the long term, plus I am used to using sony. Cant wait now till it arrives!!!

Thanks guys

Gary
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Wrangler

Congratulations on the new camera Gary! If you liked the PD-150 then I'm sure you'll be happy with the Z1 as it seems like the logical next step and Sony obviously listened to critiques of their earlier models. It has a number of nice upgrades from the PD line, but will still seem very familiar to you. Let us know how it works out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

No problem. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get to play with it. Should be here in a couple of days.

Thanks

Gary
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Gary

I've had a Z1 for about 4 weeks now - love it. One thing stumped me though and I think I got the answer from this board so I'll pass it on in case you're not aware of it.

To make exposure fully manual you must make sure you show the shutter speed, aperture and gain control in the viewfinder/LCD - I had the first 2 but not the third and the camra kept adjusting the gain.

Have fun

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Ian

Gary
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all

Well the Z1 arrived today so I am just getting to play with it. Initial thoughts are that it is quite light yet looks heavier, this should be easier on the muscles. I love the flip out screen as well. Off now to test the audio.

I really like the feel of this camera.

Thanks

Gary
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

IMO the Z1 could have been desgined a lil better, especially the handgrip area... If youve ever held a DVX or PD150, then youll know the bulk and roundness of the handgrip area is prolly one of the biggest gripes youll have with the unit (eventually.. just trust me on that.. )

Also with this particular camera, be aware of lens and chromatic abherations when shooting light sources such as disco lights, spotlights etc etc.. vertical smearing is one of the uglier nuances of this unit

apart from that, have fun :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
New Boot

pleased with the FX1

I purchased the FX1 about a month ago, mainly to shoot weddings. It has just the right amount of manual features for me, and so far I love it. I would like to have had the XLR inputs, but I didn't have the extra money to shell out for the Z1. Plus, I don't currently have the budget for a wireless system, so I went with the Rode Videomic.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase of the FX1 and Rode Videomic. I've shot weddings the past two weekends and I think the results with the FX1 have been very good. If only I could deliver the final product in HD...
Chad Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques