Cake shot! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Cake shot!

So i went to a friend's wedding.... nice day.

I didnt do the video, because I'm no longer free and I have too much work on my hands, so basically, about 8 members of the family brought thier own handycams and hopefully I would be able to sift through all the footage to make thier video sometime in the future.

So, just as my family members have seen me shoot the cake before its attacked. From above angles, side, low, (and if able, right above it.) They ALL decide to do the same.

We were treated to a sight of eight people standing around a cake holding thier cameras above thier heads.............. 3 cameras fall into the cake....

I then wondered, how many times have I felt scared to death when doing shots of a cake that my 3 times more heavier FX1 would fall? Then I thought, who has actually dropped thier 5 grand plus camera into a cake or fountain trying to get a shot of it?
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Major Player

LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh Leo. I recorded a wedding on May 28th and had it on a monopod getting high shot of the cake and was thinking what if my pd150 fell into it. :( that wouldn't be good. Also how embarrassing that would've been for me. Your story is hilarious Thanks
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
So i went to a friend's wedding.... nice day.

I didnt do the video, because I'm no longer free and I have too much work on my hands, so basically, about 8 members of the family brought thier own handycams and hopefully I would be able to sift through all the footage to make thier video sometime in the future.

So, just as my family members have seen me shoot the cake before its attacked. From above angles, side, low, (and if able, right above it.) They ALL decide to do the same.

We were treated to a sight of eight people standing around a cake holding thier cameras above thier heads.............. 3 cameras fall into the cake....

I then wondered, how many times have I felt scared to death when doing shots of a cake that my 3 times more heavier FX1 would fall? Then I thought, who has actually dropped thier 5 grand plus camera into a cake or fountain trying to get a shot of it?
AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA Damn thats funny.. my god i havent laughed so hard for a long time..

they actually DROPPED their cams?? AAAAAAHAHAHAHAA
what did the couple say when they saw imprints of lens hoods on their cake??
As for shooting cakes, ive never dropped a cam into one... i also dont put the camera on a monopod anymore as even though i know i can hold it, theres no telling what others are doing around me while im doing this. I had one kid literally run into me almost knocking the cam out of my hand. Then theres the backyard producer who wants to learn from u and (like in ur case) copy what your doing, but without the "hootspa" (jewish word for nerve/balls/audacity) to pull it off.

For my cams, i have a pistol grip, which mounts to the tripod mount and lets me hold the cam a lil more naturally. Like a bike handle that screws in. makes the cam feel like an ol 8mm ;) If the cake is too high (hardly, im 6.5') i would then pull my tripod head and neck off the legs and mount it, but i wont go any higher tan an addition 3 feet.. just too risky when kids are around
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Major Player

EVERY time... EVERY time, I hold up my camera over a cake I get a surge of fear pumped into me about the camera falling. I worry more about the cake than I do my camera. Even if the camera is very expensive, that cake is a once off....

But as for my story, I felt a little guilty not videoing thier wedding, as it *could* have stopped my rellos from bringing thier own cams.. oh well... Nice to know it made af ew people laugh.... really wanst funny on the day though lol. .... hahahha
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Still Motion

A couple weeks ago I was at a reception and got some nice simple cake shots with my body mounted stabilizer. The bride, who did an incredible amount of research before hiring anybody for her wedding, asked if she could get a nice moving shot from directly above the cake. Problem is, the cake was a good 6 feet high and you can't get a camera on a body ounted stabilizer that high. Rather than telling her no, I decided to pull out a chair and actualy climbed on top. At this point the photographer actually came over and grabbed a couple shots as it must have looked pretty odd to see me with a full body mounted stabilizer, standing on a chair, bending forward as much as possible to try and pull the camera back over the cake. Boy was it nerve racking, but it turned out to be one of the best shots of the day, in the couples opinion (FYI, the clip is posted in an earlier thread about image stabilizers if you happen to check it out, now you will now how I got that cake shot).
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Leo Pepingco]

/QUOTE]

Lol, Please tell me someone has a picture of this.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Major Player

pictures of the aftermath were taken, but not by anyone I know.... The bride was in close proximity of the cake once we got the cameras out of it... So no one really had much balls to take a picture.

However, the video of it happening does exist.... The bride has possesion of it... I think its locked away in fort nox, never to be seen again. Like I said, I was only a guest enjoying a family wedding. If anyone has pics, its my family and I will doubt it will ever come out...

But man, as much as I know its piss funny, I can't laugh at it... just far too close to the bride to laugh... Just wanted to share a crazily funny story.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques