Video Clip: Working with Clients at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Wrangler

Video Clip: Working with Clients

I cut a short promo/teaser from a wedding I shot two weeks ago of a fellow videographer friend of mine. It was a pleasure and an honor to be chosen by a peer to shoot his own wedding.

Anyway people often ask me tips on how to work with clients and how to prep them for shooting a Credits Montage. Here's a short piece that shows a few aspects of the process....

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...tsMakingOf.wmv
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Glen,

This is completely opposite of what I've seen from your work up to this point and I really like it! That was a great edit. I'm not a Zombie fan but you had the footage really hitting with the music and matching the client.

I liked the nat sound you had in the video. To me that's an essential element for a good edit.

Maybe it could have been longer to explain a little more about what you do? But I guess that the client would know that from conversations with you before they view this clip.

The clients were loving it and I think that's what makes a great video as much as anything else. You just can't fake that. You had solid camera work, great editing, and a happy client. Good edit.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Niiiice, you've done it again Glen. Short sweet and straight to the point with good work all around.
Enrique Galvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

as usual, presentation is top notch and methods shown can be quit helpful in convincing potential clients as to how youd like to shoot a certain scene.

In addition to the reactionary comments which are included, it shows peoples willingness to go that extra mile for the bridal couple. THis works well for close nit groups of friends

Now moving this onto another level...
Notwithstanding the presentation and the methods used to achieve a quality product, I totally agree and admire what youve done here.
It gives people a real world example as to HOW it is done and the reaction from it.

But it seems that in my experience and in about 98% of cases, that getting the party to act up or give you the opportunity to get these type of shots (as in full body "check me out" kinda shots... ) is something many of my own clients arent wiling to do.
In addition to that, one must be wary of illegal activities, (as ive had several issues in the past when im filming Summernat entry cars used as bridal cars)
(summernats is a "show" which anyone can enter their street machines with... most of my canberra jobs are filled with tarmac ripping street machines doing wonderous and very stupid things. These drivers are incredible and really should consider professional driving work, but they dont see it.. lol )
Anywyas, with that, ive had cops ask me to see and try to confiscate my tapes to be used as evidence.. yes it does happen so if u are filming this kind of thing, be aware. Im just lucky that i know most the Local area commanders in the canberraa as i do alot of work for the police force down there.. )
Anywyas moving on.

More than likely 80% of clients would feel uneasy about somethign like this UNLESS there is a "vibe" hapening there which will naturally progress into allowing u to get these kind of shots without too much effort. Weather, heat cold etc all play a factor in how somethign like this can be executed.

Even showing them the possibilites and the fact that it takes less than a minute to get the shots u need, many people are still very self concious of being filmed.

Now, its our job to create a story of the day, and its our job to portray each persons character as best we can. If we ask them to strike a pose and theyre not "into it" then we are putting them in a position of unease, with peer pressure, self conciousness and more importantly and above all this, we convey the feeling of pushiness or being pushy (which doesnt bode well for future work or references).

Now it only takes one person to ruin the whole vibe (that is, the rest of the people might be into it, but in most cases, its the overweight older bridesmaid <hey im being honest> who may feel uneasy about it and it WILL show on video...),

and so with doing something like this, one MUST be very careful how u tread and of course, what and how u shoot.

This is why im so personal with the bridal party, as by the time the ceremony is over, were all on first name bases and im treated like a "friend' so getting close in this manner helps me get the shots i need, but again, u cant get too close.. ur there to do a job..
But if u DO get close with them, you will see that the response to what your asking tehm to do will be a little more relaxed and open, however if ur stringent as to just go in and shoot and have ur "standard shots" u want to get, then be prepared for rejection.

The psychology of what we do is massive compared to what many people even consider, and asking people to pose in any manner is probably one of the most profound elements found in video production.

How natural, cheesy, sexy, sensual <i like these ones... > attitudious (is that a word?? LOL) u make it, its all about your approach, and this video is one great way of portraying one way of doing that.

Just remember that there are many different facets to what we do , and we must never lose site of the impression and impact we make to the people we are filming.
Not only can it make or break the shot, but it can also make or break any future work which can stem from this.

Again, great work Glen, you trully show all of us from veterans to noobs how to think outside the square
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

I agree with many of the points you made. Keep in mind a "Credits Montage" isn't part of any package I offer but an add-on. If the client chooses to do one they most definitly "wan't" one and have friends who are loose enough to fully participate.

As you know my traditional coverage differs from this a great deal. It's nice, as a shooter/editor, to break away and do something more contemporary and fun once in a while. Plus I feel it's valuable to remain flexible in your shooting/editing style. That way it's less likely other videographers in your region will have something you don't. I like my work to cover the full spectrum.

Besides.... every single client is different- the more adaptable you are the better fit for a larger percentage of potential clientel you'll be.

Thanks for watching.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Glenn,

Question, technical. First is that you holding the Stedycam? Second, I notice that you spun it upside down, do you have a clip of that that you shot 'upside down?" I can imagine what it looked like, but I was curious as to what angle you were after. Hehe, it might make me buy a steadycam. I was very impressed with how you or who ever was was working the movement by the way. The whole thing had a 'hollywoodish' feel to it, but certainly not Woodyallenishhollywoodish. :}

And back on track with this string, I have found in my infancy that the more alcohol at a reception, the more people speak. hehe, just my humor.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Hey Glenn,

Question, technical. First is that you holding the Stedycam? Second, I notice that you spun it upside down, do you have a clip of that that you shot 'upside down?" I can imagine what it looked like, but I was curious as to what angle you were after. Hehe, it might make me buy a steadycam. I was very impressed with how you or who ever was was working the movement by the way. The whole thing had a 'hollywoodish' feel to it, but certainly not Woodyallenishhollywoodish. :}

And back on track with this string, I have found in my infancy that the more alcohol at a reception, the more people speak. hehe, just my humor.
Yeah that was me on the Glidecam 4000 Pro. The upside down shot was a worms eye view looking upward. Of course it would be backwards but I'll flip it vertically in post.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Glen - Would it be possible to repost the clip?

Sorry, I just want to look at as much of your work as I can :-)
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Dill
Sorry, I just want to look at as much of your work as I can :-)
Beth try this link...

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/XrayCredits.wmv
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Really cool. I that's a great idea for the ladies to do their little modeling routine, because I'm sure they REALLY loved that. One more question, if I may trouble you, what type of stabilizer were you using to film the bridesmaids -- I couldn't tell. Thanks a million! Yet another idea of put into my bag of tricks!
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Dill
One more question, if I may trouble you, what type of stabilizer were you using to film the bridesmaids -- I couldn't tell.
No problem at all. It was a glidecam 4000 pro.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #12
New Boot

Hey Glen,

Do you include those Credit Montages in your packages are do your clients pay extra for them? Just wondering what you typically charge for someting like that?
Todd Westacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Westacott
Hey Glen,

Do you include those Credit Montages in your packages are do your clients pay extra for them? Just wondering what you typically charge for someting like that?
It's not included in any package I offer but as an add-on rather. I usually price them between $400-500.
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Major Player

Well done Glen... was that photographer with your crew (in the section with
the tires peeling)... Also you have a wide angle lens on the Sony cam?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
Well done Glen... was that photographer with your crew (in the section with
the tires peeling)... Also you have a wide angle lens on the Sony cam?
No he wasn't with us- they were cool photographers though. They were very respectful and went out of their way to be OUT of ours. Part of the reason might be because the photographers were cued by the client that we were hired from out of state to come in for the shoot. In other words we weren't just the typical local schlubs in this case. lol

Regarding the w/a lense. Yes it's a Century Optics .55x.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques