Wireless Lav Mic Help...for a wedding on Saturday! :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 30th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Lav Mic Help...for a wedding on Saturday! :)

Okay, so I like to procrastinate! Actually, I was waiting for a few deposits to come in the mail before making the decision whether to puchase sound equipment. Anyway, does anyone know anything about the Audio-Technica ATW-601/L Freeway Lavaliere UHF Wireless System??? Here is a link to a website that I found it on, but it doesn't tell me enough about it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...u=270567%2e529

I was under the impression that Senn systems are one of the better ones, but I really liked the price of this Audio-Technica one better. Please help if you can.

And, on top of that, Can you recommend a recorder to capture the sound? I don't want to connect to my camera because I bought a new shotgun, so I'd rather try both sound recordings and see what works best. I don't need anything fancy, but quality sound would be great! Thanks!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #2
New Boot

Look on ebay. I think you can get the Senn G2 Wireless for around 400.00 new. You will probably want a camera mounted system that is batery operated. Instead of the plug in one you are looking at. I love my G2.
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Heuer
Look on ebay. I think you can get the Senn G2 Wireless for around 400.00 new. You will probably want a camera mounted system that is batery operated. Instead of the plug in one you are looking at. I love my G2.
Thanks, that is another that I'm looking at! Its actually in stock at my local music store for $499, which isn't *too* bad. I might pick it up!
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Personally, I'd forego the ATW and just apply the money toward a Senn G2.

And I've really found no use for a shotgun at a wedding.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Personally, I'd forego the ATW and just apply the money toward a Senn G2.

And I've really found no use for a shotgun at a wedding.
Okay, so I found a place that has the Senn G2 for a good price and can overnight it. NOW, can you help recommend a recorder to attach it to, instead of using it on my camera? The wedding I'm doing is outdoor, and I'd rather have 2 sound recordings (the reason for the on-camera shot gun) for the ceremony incase one is poor quality from wind (especially since we might be in for a tropicl storm here). THanks!
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If windy, try a mini mp3 recorder and mic on a different actor. Typically actor's i.e. minister and groom are pointing different directions, so if the wind does catch your mic, maybe it won't as much on the opposite side.

I'm not sure if you can 'overnight' the mp3 recorder and you might have to find that local, along with the lav mic. I won't do a wedding without mine anymore. This gives me atleast 3 to 6 sources for audio, depending on the number of cameras.

I love my G2 as well.
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan
Okay, so I found a place that has the Senn G2 for a good price and can overnight it. NOW, can you help recommend a recorder to attach it to, instead of using it on my camera? The wedding I'm doing is outdoor, and I'd rather have 2 sound recordings (the reason for the on-camera shot gun) for the ceremony incase one is poor quality from wind (especially since we might be in for a tropicl storm here). THanks!
I'd think you would want the main audio to come through your cam so you could monitor the audio. Not sure where you intend to place the "recorder". Another option is to use a "splitter" and run both the shotgun and wireless through your cam. (You don't say what kind of cam you have or wheter it already has XLR ports).

What I do is:

1.) Wireless on a groom (then to my cam so I can monitor levels).
2.) iRiver on an officiant.

You most likely don't have time to get an iRiver though. I've also used a single-chipper consumer cam strategically positioned near the action just to pick up the audio.

If it's windy, that shotgun will still give you problems depending on where it's placed. Even on a calm day, unless you're 4 feet away from moving lips it won't do the best job but if it's all you have...
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Dawn,

You're much better off running your wireless to your main camera and the shotgun to the recorder. Basically, a shotgun mic at a ceremony is all but worthless. You won't capture the vows with it or any other dialogue. Your lucky if you get usable sound during music pieces with a shotgun on your camera at an outdoor wedding. The wireless will at least capture the vows and more than likely the message from the minister as well.

I think Rick offered the best alternative. Run the wireless to your main camera and run the shotgun to a small camera at a more useful location that's closer to the audio sources.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques