Wireless video production? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 30th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless video production?

Has anyone invented a way to shoot video and transmit the signal wirelessly to like a truck or something. So like you could have 4 cameras coming into a switcher and live cut any event?
Seems like it would be possible. What are the limitations and practicalities of this sort of thing?
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall
Has anyone invented a way to shoot video and transmit the signal wirelessly to like a truck or something. So like you could have 4 cameras coming into a switcher and live cut any event?
Seems like it would be possible. What are the limitations and practicalities of this sort of thing?
Yes, it is quite common for television news organizations...and quite expensive!

Spend some time talking to the rental managers of well known audio-visual and video rental companies in your local area. Do not, at first, ask to speak to a sales representative. Ask specifically for the equipment rental department manager. If you get a person unwilling to discuss your particular needs, hang up and call another rental company. You need to find someone who will take the time to listen to and sincerely try to understand your unique production issues.

If this is your first foray into the production challenges of wireless broadcast (or any other new set of technical issues), by all means rent from a reputable supplier. What you pay in rental fees will be more than made up in the knowledge you acquire.

How do I know this? I spent most of my professinal career renting professional production equipment. What I did not know I learned from others in my field, and I had the rare opportunity to make some remarkable friendships as well. When you find the right "pro", you have made the difference between night and day. Unfortunately, the opposite is also a disappointing reality, so be judicious in your choices.
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Major Player

so are we talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars or what?
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

some of the products were developed for monitoring steadycam systems.There are wireless systems for transmission in venue for roving cameras,etc, so you would still be looking at placing a receiving antenna in the venue and cabling that back to the truck.

Are you trying to avoid the camera tethered in the venue or all the cabling to the truck?

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques