Are your wedding clients ready for HD...? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Major Player

"Early" - Versatile marketing ?

I'm not working in the wedding industry but like to add comment after
seeing a local SD wedding dvd.

The production company added a aditional button to the menu explaining
to the couple that the production was initially shot on "HD" and that the
sd version on the disc is the downscaled version.

Then they added a + - 2 MIN HDV MPEG 2 HIGHLIGHT CLIP to the second
menu with added instructions etc. for possible PC playback.(system specs ,
etc.)

According to the couple / They were under no obligation but could purchase
the "hd" master disc in the future seeing that the company is keeping it
archived.

According to the couple the 2min "HD" version was shown to them upon
collection of the disc and both freaked out on what they saw.

They also planned to return to the company to buy the "HD" version in the
future.

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you Herman. I've shot events and documentaries for four years without owning any of my own equipment. Nine months ago, when I decided to go in, I carefully considered equipment costs, and realized that HD was the smartest move for *me*. I don't envy those who shoot SD and feel like they may be on a sinking ship. I don't think they are, but will be in about four years. (BTW, you're going to LOVE shooting 16:9!)

My wife and I are targeting high-end weddings, which makes us a bit different as well. The biggest frustration I've had is the horrific decision I made to go with PC instead of Mac. (Speaking of a sinking ship!)
Dana Salsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Honestly, I would love to go HD. The problem, as others have stated, is that it's hard enough to sell brides on video in the first place. I bought my 3 Canon GL2's about 4 years ago and I'm still paying them off. If I have to invest an additional $15k to move to HD, plus additional time for the learning curve, then I'm going to have to raise my prices substantially.

That simply won't work for me. I already have to agonize over raising my prices $200 here and there to account for inflation and such, as each price raise makes selling video that much harder.

However, I do believe that in a few years HD will be expected. I think this will happen once people get used to renting HD movies at the movie store, because then they will relate to the medium and expect it elsewhere (like when VHS transitioned to DVD).

I plan on making the switch at some point . . I just hope I time it right.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:19 AM   #19
Major Player

[QUOTE=Travis Cossel;652568]Honestly, I would love to go HD. The problem, as others have stated, is that it's hard enough to sell brides on video in the first place. I bought my 3 Canon GL2's about 4 years ago and I'm still paying them off. If I have to invest an additional $15k to move to HD, plus additional time for the learning curve, then I'm going to have to raise my prices substantially.

That simply won't work for me. I already have to agonize over raising my prices $200 here and there to account for inflation and such, as each price raise makes selling video that much harder.

However, I do believe that in a few years HD will be expected. I think this will happen once people get used to renting HD movies at the movie store, because then they will relate to the medium and expect it elsewhere (like when VHS transitioned to DVD).

Trav- It sounds like you have a somewhat small market in Idaho.....if that is the case, you problably need not worry too much about HD for a while still, and thats cool. I feel for you.....that the brides in your area arent on the up and up with video.

Im sure most videographers including me in the bigger cities are the ones who will have to get on the HD sooner than some of the ones in the smaller cities, well see....
I plan on making the switch at some point . . I just hope I time it right
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM   #20
Inner Circle

well, i make no hiding of the fact that im still shooting in SD... the clients compare the work and im still getting bookings for next year (even though by then i'd be shooting HD (hopefully DVCPRoHD.. but i doubt it..weddings just dont justify the cost) but theyr epaying for SD, so thats thwat theyre gonna get..

Thing is if they see work they like, theyll pay for it, if they want HD, i give them the option, but im yet to have someone specifically ask for it.. or book becuase of it...
and i take around 45 to 55 bookings a year and i cater for the mid to upper class market so they are intereted in HD, but theyre not interested in paying the premium for it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
many videograpehrs here in aus cosnider HDV to be "true" hd.. with text blurbs plasetring their sites etc etc
Peter, FYI HDV is a recording format. Camcorders such as the Sony Z1 and JVC 110 etc. are true HD. HD refers to the 1080i or 720p format.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Joe
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Joe, you're right about the market in Idaho. The Boise area has around 250,000-300,000 people, which isn't too bad, but most people just don't consider hiring a videographer here.

Moving to HD wouldn't be such a concern, but another videographer here just started up and purchased HD cameras as his initial investment. Obviously he's going to use that as a selling point, and his work isn't bad either from what I saw. Because he's new, he's also priced himself lower than me.

I'm still booking more weddings this year than any other year, but that doesn't prevent me from harboring a little concern over HD. d:-)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry View Post
Peter, FYI HDV is a recording format. Camcorders such as the Sony Z1 and JVC 110 etc. are true HD. HD refers to the 1080i or 720p format.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Joe
Noones doubting the recording formats available, however the only camera to use native resolution is the JVC, Canon (technically) and fx7 (not including any XDCam options single CCD consumer cams).
The compression of HDV can also be debated as being a hefty compromise.
Clients DO notice this compression through artefacts and noise

Put it this way, HDV is barely scraping through the standards... hell the audio compression is just on touching the Dolby recording standards...
For weddings this might be acceptable, but to my eye, "TRUE" HD is uncompressed 4:4:4.. then again, im pedantic about detail and accuracy...

This is not the place for that debate however

Fact remains, that HD is the future, theres no denying it, how we time the transition will either make or break us.

Im lucky in a sense that ive been there and done that and for over 12 months 2 clients asked for 16:9 and one of those asked for HD..
To me, thats not a viable investment
I sold off the Z1's and still use the DVX day by day.
More than likely i'll get a H1 and an A1 to replace the DVX100s' but until then, and until people start to NOT book us for the gear we use (or dont use), THATS when i'll start to worry about upgrading again.
The other issue is acceptance of HD formats and now that PS3 is starting to take shape witin the home theatre culture, optical delivery options will start to be accessable
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques