FYI: The Knot is bad news - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #16
Trustee

I actually have my first delinquent client. Never paid remainder of balance day of. I sent notice & copy of contract and haven't heard anything back. Left phone message too (their name was still on the answering machine).

So I'm just shelving their edit till I get paid. I have clauses for late fees & fines for not paying... but I don't feel like hassling them just yet.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I had a delinquent client once. Took them 2 1/2 years to pay me. It was one of my first weddings .. before I had late fees and such built into my contract. Not a fun situation. When the bride finally showed up to make her final payment and pick up the video, I casually asked how they were doing and she broke down crying in front of me because they had separated. Awkward ....
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #18
Trustee

Yikes! Well, considering that I've had two good friends of mine split after <1yr and a good friend of my wife had the same thign happen..... it isn't as we used to think.

I suppose that is all the more reason for me to get my turnaround times quicker to avoid the awkwardness of these situations.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #19
Major Player

I have 2 Brides that I know of that's divorced. Sad considering how sweet they were during the time of the wedding.
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #20
Major Player

at that point, contract or not, i would have cancelled on her. the knot in my area is a waste.
brides wotn pay more than $800 for a video. It's funny going through there reading threads about awesome new videographers, posted by brides who are their "cousins" and their work totally sucks ass.
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #21
Major Player

I've been using The Knot for over 2 years and I've had a lot of luck with them. I have noticed on their forums that when someone asks for a videographer suggestion, the brides will suggest who they are using whether they advertise on The Knot or not (Knot ;)
So I will agree with the previous poster who said that if you keep your brides happy, they will be your best advertising.
The only problem I do have with them is that when I started, it was $85/month. I'm now paying $100/month, but I never received an email telling me that the rate had increased.
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Regular Crew

We've had pretty good success with The Knot in our Southern California market. Personally, I wouldn't have signed their contract if not for a reduced rate offered at a trade show we attended.
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I've been using them for about 3 months, netted two leads both of which were useless... I'll give it a little more time though...
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
I've never spent $$ on advertising with the Knot, but have shot about 4 knottie weddings over the last 2 years. Three of them wanted me to discount my prices from a $1795 package I had. The fourth bride got her's for free because she gave me this sob story about how her fiance spent all of her "video" money and being the softy that I am, I fell for it. (I usually give one free wedding a year anyway, but this one got her's under disengenuous pretenses). Two weeks later I'm reading on the local Knot boards that she saved so much money on her videographer that she was able to upgrade on several of her other vendor services....That just steamed me big time.

Man, that's a horrible story. It's nice that you offer a free wedding from time to time, but I've found that it's true that no good deed goes unpunished.

We're still new in business for ourselves, but I require brides to pay in full before the wedding.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques