DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A short trailer to share (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/96923-short-trailer-share.html)

Eric Gan June 19th, 2007 07:17 PM

A short trailer to share

I haven't posted anything here in ages. Just thought I'd share a really short clip from the wedding this past weekend. We're having the most rotten summer weather here in Vancouver....it's been raining for weeks on end. Brave of the couple to go ahead with the outdoor ceremony. But what do you know, the rain stopped 30 minutes before they started the ceremony. I'm starting to really miss the perpetual sunshine in Sydney, Australia.

Enjoy.
http://www.vividmotion.net/blog/?postid=7

Jon McGuffin June 19th, 2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gan (Post 699335)
I haven't posted anything here in ages. Just thought I'd share a really short clip from the wedding this past weekend. We're having the most rotten summer weather here in Vancouver....it's been raining for weeks on end. Brave of the couple to go ahead with the outdoor ceremony. But what do you know, the rain stopped 30 minutes before they started the ceremony. I'm starting to really miss the perpetual sunshine in Sydney, Australia.

Enjoy.
http://www.vividmotion.net/blog/?postid=7

Great stuff! Thanks so much for posting that. You do great work... What are you shooting with?

Travis Cossel June 19th, 2007 08:23 PM

Very nice video. Very consistent editing, shots, and color.

I would also like to know what camera you use, as well as what stablizer system. Also, what was that music?

Monday Isa June 19th, 2007 09:10 PM

Great Job Eric,
Loved every second. Thanks for sharing

Monday

Patrick Moreau June 19th, 2007 09:32 PM

Looks great. I really liked the color work, it really went well with your film theme. I think the piece is excellent as-is, but if I were looking for something else to try, I think a bit of voice overs would have given it a greater impact and probably would have fit well with the track you used.

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca

Bill Anciaux June 19th, 2007 09:41 PM

I especially like the color work too. Unique look, nicely matched to the music.

Eric Gan June 20th, 2007 02:51 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. For those that asked, I shoot with Sony FX1s. Stabilizer is with a plain old Glidecam 2000. I do have a Smooth Shooter vest, but haven't used it much lately because I like to have more mobility.

Cheers,

Nicholas Valentine June 20th, 2007 06:00 AM

Great vid man. Like everyone else it seems, I too love the coloring and style you gave to this piece. Thank you for sharing.

Travis Cossel June 20th, 2007 07:13 PM

So you shoot the whole ceremony handheld with the Glidecam 2000? Doesn't that really tire out your wrist and arm?

Robert Ducon June 21st, 2007 01:50 PM

Eric, sadly, the rain *is* Vancouver.

I live in Victoria.. startling difference in weather despite being so close. Check Victoria out if you can.

Great video clip! One of the best wedding videos I've seen - engaging movement.

Eric Gan June 22nd, 2007 01:14 AM

Travis, I only "fly" the rig for 10, maybe 20 seconds at a time. The rest of the time, I just hold on to the post and let my wrist/forearm muscles recover. All the while, I try to spot the next opportunity to get a gliding shot.

I also have a quick release plate mounted so I often pop it off to go to tripod or handheld mode.

Did anyone notice the last shot in that clip? It's close to the effect I was going for, but I'm going to keep trying it for the next few weddings until I get it just right. I had to use the shot transition feature on the FX1 to pull it off.

Nicholas Valentine June 22nd, 2007 05:52 AM

Are you talking about the Kubrick Shining Hallway technique (don't know that actual term)? Where you push in on your subject and zoom out at the same time, giving you that odd background movement. Am I close?

Michael Y Wong June 22nd, 2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Valentine (Post 700830)
Are you talking about the Kubrick Shining Hallway technique (don't know that actual term)? Where you push in on your subject and zoom out at the same time, giving you that odd background movement. Am I close?

i believe u are referring to a compression zoom.

eric, great stuffs btw. imo that is one lucky groom :)

Richard Wakefield June 22nd, 2007 11:46 AM

hold on, isn't it called a contra-zoom or something? anyway, well done for achieving that with a glidecam attached! :)

Travis Cossel June 22nd, 2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gan (Post 700753)
Travis, I only "fly" the rig for 10, maybe 20 seconds at a time. The rest of the time, I just hold on to the post and let my wrist/forearm muscles recover. All the while, I try to spot the next opportunity to get a gliding shot.

I also have a quick release plate mounted so I often pop it off to go to tripod or handheld mode.

Did anyone notice the last shot in that clip? It's close to the effect I was going for, but I'm going to keep trying it for the next few weddings until I get it just right. I had to use the shot transition feature on the FX1 to pull it off.

Out of curiosity, what quick-release plate are you using?