A short trailer to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A short trailer to share

I haven't posted anything here in ages. Just thought I'd share a really short clip from the wedding this past weekend. We're having the most rotten summer weather here in Vancouver....it's been raining for weeks on end. Brave of the couple to go ahead with the outdoor ceremony. But what do you know, the rain stopped 30 minutes before they started the ceremony. I'm starting to really miss the perpetual sunshine in Sydney, Australia.

Enjoy.
http://www.vividmotion.net/blog/?postid=7
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gan View Post
I haven't posted anything here in ages. Just thought I'd share a really short clip from the wedding this past weekend. We're having the most rotten summer weather here in Vancouver....it's been raining for weeks on end. Brave of the couple to go ahead with the outdoor ceremony. But what do you know, the rain stopped 30 minutes before they started the ceremony. I'm starting to really miss the perpetual sunshine in Sydney, Australia.

Enjoy.
http://www.vividmotion.net/blog/?postid=7
Great stuff! Thanks so much for posting that. You do great work... What are you shooting with?
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Very nice video. Very consistent editing, shots, and color.

I would also like to know what camera you use, as well as what stablizer system. Also, what was that music?
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Great Job Eric,
Loved every second. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Still Motion

Looks great. I really liked the color work, it really went well with your film theme. I think the piece is excellent as-is, but if I were looking for something else to try, I think a bit of voice overs would have given it a greater impact and probably would have fit well with the track you used.

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I especially like the color work too. Unique look, nicely matched to the music.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys. For those that asked, I shoot with Sony FX1s. Stabilizer is with a plain old Glidecam 2000. I do have a Smooth Shooter vest, but haven't used it much lately because I like to have more mobility.

Cheers,
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great vid man. Like everyone else it seems, I too love the coloring and style you gave to this piece. Thank you for sharing.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

So you shoot the whole ceremony handheld with the Glidecam 2000? Doesn't that really tire out your wrist and arm?
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Eric, sadly, the rain *is* Vancouver.

I live in Victoria.. startling difference in weather despite being so close. Check Victoria out if you can.

Great video clip! One of the best wedding videos I've seen - engaging movement.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Travis, I only "fly" the rig for 10, maybe 20 seconds at a time. The rest of the time, I just hold on to the post and let my wrist/forearm muscles recover. All the while, I try to spot the next opportunity to get a gliding shot.

I also have a quick release plate mounted so I often pop it off to go to tripod or handheld mode.

Did anyone notice the last shot in that clip? It's close to the effect I was going for, but I'm going to keep trying it for the next few weddings until I get it just right. I had to use the shot transition feature on the FX1 to pull it off.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Are you talking about the Kubrick Shining Hallway technique (don't know that actual term)? Where you push in on your subject and zoom out at the same time, giving you that odd background movement. Am I close?
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Valentine View Post
Are you talking about the Kubrick Shining Hallway technique (don't know that actual term)? Where you push in on your subject and zoom out at the same time, giving you that odd background movement. Am I close?
i believe u are referring to a compression zoom.

eric, great stuffs btw. imo that is one lucky groom :)
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #14
Major Player

hold on, isn't it called a contra-zoom or something? anyway, well done for achieving that with a glidecam attached! :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gan View Post
Travis, I only "fly" the rig for 10, maybe 20 seconds at a time. The rest of the time, I just hold on to the post and let my wrist/forearm muscles recover. All the while, I try to spot the next opportunity to get a gliding shot.

I also have a quick release plate mounted so I often pop it off to go to tripod or handheld mode.

Did anyone notice the last shot in that clip? It's close to the effect I was going for, but I'm going to keep trying it for the next few weddings until I get it just right. I had to use the shot transition feature on the FX1 to pull it off.
Out of curiosity, what quick-release plate are you using?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques