How do I get rid of ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I get rid of ?

Hi Guys

Got a new guy working with me and got him to do a few shots at the brides house.
The problem is when he has attached the external mic to the camera, he hasn't brought the bracket back further enough, the mic is on, so you can see the mic's wind shield in the frame.
How is the best way to get rid of this?
Is it best to zoom in slightly when I come to edit it in PP2?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks
Wayne
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Major Player

do not, i repeat DO NOT zoom in, it'll be slightly blurry in the end result as you're decreasing the resolution.

what i would personally do is crop the top, then move the clip up to centre it on screen. that way it will look like a deliberate widescreen effect.

or if it's a static shot, take a frame grab, clone some of the 'ceiling' in photoshop and bring back into PP2 your new cover-up layer (a bit more time-consuming but definitely do-able..i speak from experience: there was an unwanted cup of tea in the foreground of a corporate video!)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is the footage 4x3? maybe you could possibly put a 16x9 mask onto the footage to make it letterboxed....but you would probably cut off important areas of the video. probably best bet is to zoom in but then you will loose some of the quality if you go too far in. best of luck.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

Looks like im gonna have to have a play around with it
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #5
New Boot

If you know anyone with Newtek's SpeedEDIT, ask them to do a zoom in on the clips and render out. I find SpeedEDIT's ability to uprez far better than PPros.
Brian Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just thought I would clarify, whether you zoom in (increase the scale of your image), use a 16:9 mask, or just crop the top and bottom, it all does essentially the same: you are cutting out part of the original image.

I would go with the crop tool and try to find a creative background if it is too large a section for viewing.
AD
Alfred Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

if its 16:9, use a 1.85.1 mask
if its 4:3, use a 16x9 mask
worst case scenario, crop and zoom, but this is dependant on your camera, and your output.

Dont forget most cameras record footage in the non safe area, which u can explioit. BUT on a projector it IS visible (non safe zones that is), but bezelled out on aplasma or standard TV.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques