1440 to 1920 Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1440 to 1920 Question

if I render a 1440X1080 file in vegas and wrap it in a .mov for transfer into FCP for an upconversion to 1920X1080 DVC PRO HD and spit it back out to mini HDV, have I ended up back at 1440? Trying to deliver 1920 files to captioning institute for closed captioning and dont have HD deck besides HDV cam or M15U...?
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

DVCPRO HD is not 1920x1080. Though the image stretches out to 1920x1080 with square pixels. DVCPRO HD is subsampled... I can't remember the number off the top of my head and it depends on whether you're dealing with 50fps or 59.97fps from what I remember. It might be 1280x1080 for 59.97fps.

It's the same idea as how HDV stretches out to 1920x1080.

Quote:
if I render a 1440X1080 file in vegas and wrap it in a .mov for transfer into FCP for an upconversion to 1920X1080 DVC PRO HD and spit it back out to mini HDV, have I ended up back at 1440?
There is generally generation loss whenever you resize/re-scale the image.

2- I haven't dealt with closed captioning heavily myself. But from what I understand, the closed captioning company will send you back the closed captioning which you splice back into your master. With SD, one way to do that is to do a video wipe (on a hardware switcher) to put the closed captioning into the vertical interval.

Or, some NLEs can take a particular type of file and that NLE will insert the closed captioning that way.

Or, you send them a master and they insert the closed captioning for you.

So I'm confused by what you are trying to do.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

so could I just print back to HDV tape at 1440X1080 and call it a day for HD broadcast? The cable network will only accept Panasonic DVPRO HD tapes for broadcast. I know they are used to 1920 files and when we tested our show from a hard drive in 1920 DVCPRO HD it looked amazing, but required me to import avi's into FCP for conversion to DVCPRO HD..... I have to get captioned tapes and dont want to loose quality. Captioning Institue (NCI) will make our broadcast dubs but im wondering what happens when I give them a 1440 mini HDV tape from my M15U deck? I would freeking love it if this is good because I can stay in Vegas/Cineform now....your thoughts?
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
The cable network will only accept Panasonic DVCPRO HD tapes for broadcast.
Hmm that is a new one for me.

Anyways back on topic...
If the image goes down to DVCPRO HD then you are bottlenecked there. You might as well send DVCPRO HD to the captioning company. I believe they should be able to insert the closed captioning without any further generation loss.

Quote:
1920 DVCPRO HD
I don't believe this exists?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

for cryin out loud HD is rough... Ended up with a 28:30 program in Cineform 60i Intermediate and dumping back to deck as .m2t...hope to God this works better than SD on a major network's HD channel... Is there some reference material I could get to come up with a regular solution for broadcast? Cox Cable has ordered 13 episodes in HD and laughed at me when I said I wasnt using Mac based NLE's...Die hard Vegas user but getting tired of the hurdles with deadlines looming...

Anybody?
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Well the question needs to be asked are you doing the dubbing to tape or is a production house doing it. If its a production send them your m2t and tell them what the station requires. They will take it from there.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...