preview in Vegas 6 different too bright and flat at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

preview in Vegas 6 different too bright and flat

Hi
i wonder anyone knows the reason i find the image on preview window on vegas 6 is flater and brighter compare to other players, i already claibrated my LCD monitor which i believe it's gamma 2.2.

i use waveform and vector scope , seems nothing wrong.

what gamma is using in vegas 6?
i m editing DV PAL, so i guess it's ITU 601 and my comparasion to
virtualdub and VLC i found differences like test bar - the vegas seems too bright.

is there anyway to calibrate it? i can't any way to tune it.

right now i use a levels fx to match it with the virtualdub and others players

thanks
JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you can set your LCD to bars or whatever ... and then you may have to set the vegas preview window to bars and save that setting for editing ...
scopes in Vegas will not change when setting monitor ( brightness, contrast etc) ... i find i can get it close ( comparing to sony production CRT monitor ) but bottom line is my LCD( and i assume most ) are not color accurate ...
i use a combination of setting the brightness/contrast etc controls on monitor and the same controls for the video/graphic card ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The Vegas video preview window will show the values as they are. Only values in computer RGB range will look visually correct (and be what your audience should see). If you are feeding the video preview window with studio RGB values then the preview will be inaccurate.

http://glennchan.info/articles/vegas...lorspaces.html

2- You can use a preview device like a DV device or the windows secondary display for a better preview.

Previewing over firewire/DV is appropriate if:
A- You are using Vegas' DV codec (this is the default in Vegas 4/5+).
B- You are working with values in studio RGB range. e.g. you are working with sources from the video world... DV, MPEG-2*, HDV*, SDI*
*These formats decode differently in a 32-bit project. In 8-bit they decode to studio RGB levels.

The windows secondary display can be set to want either studio RGB or computer RGB levels.

3- I wouldn't really recommend calibrating your computer monitor to Vegas' color bars. This will make the monitor inaccurate for other purposes.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Studio RGB -- calibrate to fit the rest

Hi glen
many thanks
ur page explain so detail
I guess the DV clips only shows as sRGB and i think best way is deal with it by set a fx - plug-in at preview to match with my monitor and virtualdub.

my 2nd monitor is actually a TV hook up with dv camera so i guess this is more a real world environment

i tend to make like set whole place in dim room, so many times the video shows in ordinary folks TV become too dark.

what i usually do is a test of all TV setting, like those dynamic normal and mild game and my own setting match to all test and color bar.

BTW, does the Vegas 8 has better options?
yet to try but i notice the preview is at the top now.

KM LO
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...