avi files rendered to mpeg2 files help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

avi files rendered to mpeg2 files help.

i'm confussed about burning a dvd. i capture with a cannon hv20, fire wire. dv video captures in avi files. i got that. i render in vegas platinum and change them to mpeg2 files, so arctitec can burn them to dvd. i understand that. but what is happening when i send it from vegas to arctitec. i have the render but then the make movie button that sends it to arctitec. when it gets to arctitec, all i see is the audio file and video files have been seperated. do i just put both of the files under menu.?

this is so confusing. one 19 minute dv video took 43 minutes to render, then another 40 minutes to send to arctitec. i have to be doing something wrong.

gerald
Gerald Hocutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

First I render to dvd architect mpeg2 which is the video only, to a file, takes a while depending on effects, color correction processor speed
then render audio .ac3 or if older platinum .wave to the same file with the same name, this takes only second

then open dvd architect and drag one of the files from the explorer onto the menu workspace. The audio or video will follow. If the render was correct it won't re render anything and just prepare and burn your dvd. It seems complex at first but gets easy fast. you just need to render for your dvd first then you can get creative with menus etc.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Make sure you name both the audio and video with the same name-IE: 'mymovie' and when rendered it should pick up the extension, MPEG and WAVE, PCM or AC3 depending on what the audio was rendered to. That way as stated above when you drag into the DVDArchitect window both will follow.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

so, once you render you do not go back in vegas and hit the make movie button. this is what was confusing me. i saw the mpeg2 file and the ac3 file in dvd arctitec. so i should just drag them in from explorer to the project menu.

what i am trying to do is put two- 17 minute games on one dvd. one team is the 7 & 8 year olds and the other team is the 9 & 10 year olds. so every weekend instead of having two dvds i could just do one dvd with both games on them since most parents have either football players or cheerleaders in both classes.

i'll try dragging the mpeg2 file up and see if the ac3 file follows. if it doesn't, do i just drag it up also?

thanks, gerald
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In the full version of Vegas there is no make movie button so I'm kind of guessing hee but I would say no, once you render it go to DVDA and go into the explorer and find the files and drop them in. If you grab the video then the audio should follow as long as the names are the same. If not, then pull the video in then the audio and they SHOULD be in sync.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Hocutt View Post
so, once you render you do not go back in vegas and hit the make movie button. this is what was confusing me. i saw the mpeg2 file and the ac3 file in dvd arctitec. so i should just drag them in from explorer to the project menu.
Gerald - that's right. The "Make Movie" button in the MS Platinum version actually does the step of rendering your Mpeg2 and AC3 files for you, in addition to then offering to bring them into Architect. So there is no need to do this step if you have already rendered your separate Mpeg2 and AC3 files; conversely, there is no need to first do your manual renders if you are going to use the "Make Movie" button.

My experience has been that if I manually render the Mpeg2 and AC3 files, so long as they are named identically (except for the extensions) and in the same folder, I only need to drag the Mpeg2 file into my Architect project. The AC3 file is added along side it automagically.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks guys,

i like the render version better than the make movie button. the render version leaves one folder, the make a movie button splits them up and they do not follow each other. actually, the seperate files do not contain anything. the make a movie button might work if i do not render the files before choosing it. i'm sure it's operator error.

going to try and burn those two clips on one dvd, keep your finers crossed.
gerald
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

DVD LOOKS GREAT. both games are there, works fine. problem is there is no sound on the dvd. any suggestions?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's my guess: You rendered the MPEG2, added it to DVD Architect, but did not associate the audio file with it. Did you preview it on the screen and hear sound there before burning?

After dragging the MPEG2 file to the menu, there should be some properties on the right-hand side. One of those will show you the video file being used (the MPEG2 file you just added). Below that should be an indicator as to what audio file is being used. If that is incorrect or empty, drag the correct file to that box.

I have a couple of newsletters that deal with this entire process. They use the full version instead of the Movie Studio version but the basic concepts should be the same.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Trustee

Why all this talk about rendering to Mpeg2?

In Vegas, I don't even have to think about that. In dvda I just hit 'Make dvd' and it does whatever it has to do. Plus fit it to disk if the file is too big.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #11
Inner Circle

yes in the paltinum version you can do that. In the full version you can bring a file into DVDA and also do that. However many of us prefer to render in Vegas as we have a great deal of control over the render; setting the bitrates, contsant or variable, 1 or 2 pass and with the audio we can render directly to AC3 which is DVDAs preferred audio format.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...