Preview device - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #31
Trustee

ah thanks for the advise. I also noticed that the Sony series has 1080p capability which may be good if I have a Blackmagic Intensity HDMI interface. But I'm not sure if Vegas can support that. 32" LCD is the max of my tiny budget. Like u guys mentioned, I do understand the calibration of such monitors are very different! So maybe dual LCD screens are still a better choice.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #32
Old Boot

The JVC TM-H150 here too.

It has 720 lines of monitoring and provides me with superior colour fidelity.

I use VegasPro8. Having the JVC working the colour grading I do for my clients, makes both the process and the opportunities for creativity that much more attainable and fresh.

Like a good set of headphones or pro audio monitors - a good/pro monitor provides a way into your work that nothing else can provide. This JVC does it for me each and every time. It is a fine monitor at an unbelievably, for monitors, mid-way price.

Doing this for a living, I feel I owe it to myself and the client to get what I can from the footage shot. Being able to clearly and precisely monitor the same - video<>audio - is the only way I know how. Once you've seen it in action, there is no way going back. But that's for me.

When, and if this one should fail - I'll buy another!!

Over here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103246 is a sample of the colour correction done using the JVC - and yes, the stuff on the LEFT has been CC-ed!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
It has 720 lines of monitoring and provides me with superior colour fidelity.
750, no Grazie?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #34
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
750, no Grazie?
750, yes. "750 lines of horizontal resolution"

So, it's even better than I remembered!

Grazie
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I was just looking at the specs - looks very good for the money! Who do you typically get your gear from, Grazie?

I've just blown my last job's profit on a custom built jib so any new purchases are being held at bay until after Christmas! Unless Santa can squeeze one of those babies down my chimney. So to speak . . .
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #36
Old Boot

Actually, going by the dope sheet http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/item/index_html?item=TM-H150CG it says:

"Horizontal resolution: More than 750 TV lines "

And at the flick of a button it does excellent underscan mode too. I use this to check that my video is fully in view and text is not wandering off the viewed area.

As I say, this is a great Monitor.

Grazie
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
As I say, this is a great Monitor.
It certainly is!!
Aren't you glad you listened to me when I recommended it you :-)

Now both of you (Ian & Grazie). Get to work!!
It's 4:25 a.m. where I am and I'm just waking up so I have a while to go yet before I have to get my butt in gear.

Mike (aka rs170a)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #38
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
It certainly is!!
Aren't you glad you listened to me when I recommended it you :-)
PLEASE LET IT BE KNOWN! - Whenever I mention the fact that the JVC is a great monitor to use, it was only, ONLY 'cos Mike told me about it.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my Mum and Dad for bringing me into the World; Mrs Jenkins who taught me how to read and rite proper English .. Ms S XXXXXX who taught me how to . . I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Mike? Don't ever change!! LOL!!!!

Grazie
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
PLEASE LET IT BE KNOWN! - Whenever I mention the fact that the JVC is a great monitor to use, it was only, ONLY 'cos Mike told me about it.
Grazie, that was just a teensy bit over the top!!

Quote:
Mike? Don't ever change!! LOL!!!!Grazie
My wife's been trying to change me ever since we got married 25 years ago and hasn't succeeded so I don't think I will :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #40
Inner Circle

If it helps to bring the mood back to earth, I'm off to a funeral this morning so no work today (I've told the family of the deceased I don't shoot wedding videos and this is a similar kind of thing. I want my day off!).
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Jeff...

Specs are all over the map, depending, of course, on what you want to spend. You want, most of all, the most horiz. resolution you can get. If you're wanting HDv rez, you won't find it in an inexpensive studio monitor.

Here's the JVC monitor I was referring to. This one has a lot to offer for the price, including the option to upgrade at a later date if you want component or SDI input:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...roduction.html

Take a look at its specs, then use them to do a little bit of comparison shopping.
Bill I was looking at the same JVC monitor for my Sd/HD worlflow as well.
One question though...
The JVC is native 4:3 withe the switchable opton to view 16:9 correct.

I currently have the JVC '10 monitor which does the same 4:3/16:9 thing.

I want to move up from the JVC '10 becaus it only has component inputs and also only 300 lnes fo resolution. I would pickup the Component card and be feeding footage into the JVC via BM Intensity Pro card.

I really wanted to pickup a consumer LCD, but I don't have the workspace available for a 32-40' set for a true 1920 x 1280 monitor. Everything in my 23-26 size spec is of course 1366 x 768 720P. The leader being the Samsung sets.

Oh BTW, everyone in regards to the Sharp Aquos '32 1080P LCD sets. The image is excellent and it can be callibrated fairly closely to what you want (using bars from your NLE) via HDMI and color controls.

But there's one major flaw with them. Sharp has an Auto Contrast filer that is aalways active. As a result your color saturation will be up and down all over the map.
This can be corrected but can only be done by going into the "service menu" on th Sharp sets and turning this function off.

So unless you want to venture into the service menu, then stay away from Sharp sets for color purposes.

This s one of those unknown things that was mentioned earlier in reagrds to consumer vs. producton monitors.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Noob alert.

Can a monitor, such as the JVC that Bill mentioned, be used when editing 1080p HD content in Vegas? I'm specifically wondering if it could be used in a two monitor set-up as the preview monitor.

I realize I wouldn't be seeing the full resolution, but I am more concerned about getting colors and contrast the way I want.

Thanks. Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Clark I can't answer your question but since this thread has popped up again I want to throw in my experience as related earlier on this thread.

I did purchase a HD television set to use as a preview monitor as I had said I would do and was extremely disappointed with the results. I returned it to the store and am buying a true preview monitor, probably the JVC recommended earlier.

The 24" monitor I use is actually more neutral and accurate, I believe, than using a TV hookup, despite the difference in resolutions etc.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff.

I am not shooting for broadcast. At this point I am just doing it for my own use. I started with a higher end consumer miniDV camcorder, editing in Vegas. I recently bought a Sony EX1 because the miniDV just wasn't sharp enough to make me happy. This recent addition has really emphasized my novice status.

I was a commercial (still) photographer for almost twenty years. Even if I am the only one that sees what I shoot, I still expect decent color and contrast.

Given those expectations, and my status as a video learner, I am trying to learn (without spending huge sums of money in the learning process) whether I can get an acceptable end result if:
1) I use a higher quality LCD computer monitor. (not something as high end as an LCD broadcast monitor)
2) I spend the time calibrating it with a colorimeter, such as a Datavision Spyder.
3) I use a color scale, such as the MacBeth Color Checkers that I used when dialing in a new film emulsion, to compare what the camera is seeing and what the monitor is showing.

Or do I really need to go with a broadcast monitor, such as the JVC mentioned earlier in this thread? (I still can't figure out if it connects directly to a PC.)

Thanks.
Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Actually Clark I wasn't responding directly to your question. as I mentioned I was jumping back in regarding the original topic of the thread.

I believe others that use Vegas connect by running firewire from PC to camcorder then they go from camcorder to monitor, but I really don't know for sure.

I have found that the 24" Dell monitor I use is great for relatively accurate work in preview window but when I play back using media player, etc especially with DVD's it's wacked.

You'll get decent accuracy out of a mid-level LDC in the sony vegas preview window, but of course the pros say to calibrate it. I just set it up monitor using the n-vidia tools and built in monitor calibration tools and I'm happy with it. To play back DVDs I have to move to an actual TV set if I want to see remotely what it will look like on televisions.

Gotta run, hope I helped a tiny bit.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...