Question for Douglas Spotted Eagle...or others... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #16
Major Player

What about rendering just the graphics together into one, so that you can then manipulate the new single graphic track.
I've thought about that being a possible solution to placing video in a twisting frame. Rather than manipulating both the frame and the vid to match their 3D motions, instead rendering the vid and the frame together flat first, then I'd have only one object to manipulate in 3D.
Or, render the bubbles and the t-shirt together, then combine that new render with the groom vid using another chroma key to overlay it onto the groom's track.
Make the smaller bubbles either solid bubble color or pre-fill with brown to match the groom background, if that's one of the issues you're trying to address. Just some ideas. I may or may not have communicated them well!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
What about rendering just the graphics together into one, so that you can then manipulate the new single graphic track.
I've thought about that being a possible solution to placing video in a twisting frame. Rather than manipulating both the frame and the vid to match their 3D motions, instead rendering the vid and the frame together flat first, then I'd have only one object to manipulate in 3D.
Or, render the bubbles and the t-shirt together, then combine that new render with the groom vid using another chroma key to overlay it onto the groom's track.
Make the smaller bubbles either solid bubble color or pre-fill with brown to match the groom background, if that's one of the issues you're trying to address. Just some ideas. I may or may not have communicated them well!
I hadn't thought of rendering the two or three tracks together. It sounds like a great idea. I'll try it tonight. Thanks so much.

Not sure if the small bubbles should be solid or hollow...I had thought 'thought bubbles' were hollow...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #18
Trustee

Didn't work. :-( Lost transparency.

But also...the reason I had to have two separate images was to retain separate features in each. Combining them would remove those distinctions.

Thanks for the ideas however - pity they didn't work.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Didn't work. :-( Lost transparency.
I'm imagining a single rendered clip with thought bubbles and a big bubble that now has the t-shirt clip embedded permanently in it. All else surrounding is a soild background color (anything different than what's in the t-shirt clip). Take that combo clip and perform a chroma key fx on the background color (again, using eyedropper) resulting in all background being transparent, allowing you to stack the bubble track on top of the groom track.

Quote:
But also...the reason I had to have two separate images was to retain separate features in each. Combining them would remove those distinctions.
That's why I thought prefilling the smaller bubbles while it was still in Photoshop with the same brown that the wall is in the background (using eyedropper) would fool the casual viewer that's entranced by your awesome larger bubble that you were in fact seeing the wall through the small bubbles.

HOWEVER!, if you allow the aforementioned background color that is to be chroma keyed to also fill the small bubbles, then the groom clip actually should show through the small bubbles as well.

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas however - pity they didn't work.
I wasn't ready to give up, sorry!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks Sam,

I can't render the 'tee shirt' to the one image because I want that moving in the thought bubble. To do so I have to have separate events.

Hadn't thought of chromakeying the smaller bubbles. That would work for that effect but I have it pretty well how I want it now.

Because the groom moves around a bit and it looks odd if he moves but the thought bubble doesn't, I went through and pan/cropped the video clip so that he stays relatively stable. I got engrossed and then found it was 1-30am!

One thing I don't like is where I have a fade-in to the thought bubble - when the two picture colours combine it looks odd. Not sure how to overcome that except for making the fade short.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...