De-Shaker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

De-Shaker

Hi,

I've just learned that Mercalli De-Shaker has become available for Vegas versions 7.x and 8.x and am wondering if anyone knows whether it will work with version 6.x.

I asked ProDad (the manufacturer) about this only to be told that "Vegas 6 is not on our compatability list because its not checked. Maybe it works as good as in 7 or 8. You can check this by installing the demo version." As you can imagine, I am reluctant to do this for fear of damaging or corrupting my existing programme - hence my query.

I have done a search and note that the VirtualDub de-shaker has had rave reviews but I see from John Mayer's helpful article on the excellent SunDance site that, in addition to installing the de-shaker itself, you will also need to install Virtual Dub itself together with a special codec to make it work in Vegas. This seems a little cumbersome if a complete, tailor-made programme such as Mercalli can be installed instead. I suppose it ultimately depends on which de-shaker is the best in terms of both what it does and its ease of use.

So, two questions really. Does Mercalli work in Vegas 6 and how does it compare with VirtualDub (or any other de-shaker that can be used in Vegas 6)?

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Richard Jones
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #2

I've tried Mercalli and the vegas plugin for mercalli. It didn't work with Vegas v8a. Perhaps they've fixed their problems.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't know about 8a, but it works in 8. I installed the demo a few days ago and it works fine. It is very fast and has the ability to adjust certain parameters while viewing in real time. IMO it is much better than Deshaker but it does cost ~$100 where Deshaker is free.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Bill

if you refer to not working as it skips a little in play I concur, but I've only tried on some pretty rough footage, maybe less violent material would come out smoother on 8a?

Regards

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have 8a and I am running the demo version and it works perfect.
Harold Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

De-Shaker

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea as to whether Mercalli will work with Vegas 6?

If not, is there any risk (whether to programmes/systems generally or of introducing a bug into the editing programme) in doing what ProDad suggest and trying the trial version in Vegas 6?

Best Wishes,

Richard Jones
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

There's always a risk. If it is important to you try it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

De-Shaker

Hi,

Just to let you know that I was unable to make the demo version of the Mercalli De-Shaker work with Vegas 6 and that ProDAD have now confirmed that they cannot work together (even though the De-Shaker apparently operates well with versions 7 & 8). They have also told me that there is no prospect of them writing a script to make it work with Vegas 6.

A great shame! C'est la vie!

Best Wishes,

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...