Vegas 8 need min. 2GB memory? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #16
New Boot

With RAM at its current price there is simply no excuse for not adding more. Vegas seems to love lots of RAM and a fast CPU to get the job done. Multiple internal drives help the situation too, preferably 7200 rpm SATA2 variety if your mobo supports them. Ideally keeeping the Program, Raw Footage and Finished Video all on separate drives will yield the best results, especially if you set the Page File to use only both non-OS drives.

Be aware you will need a 64-bit OS if you install 4Gb or more of RAM due to memory addressing issues or accept a 32-bit OS will probably see 3.5Gb at best. In saying that, I am running a Quad with 4Gb under Vista Home Premiun 64 yet I have never seen my system demand more than 1996Mb when Vegas has been rendering. You may also get a performance advantage by overclocking your CPU a little but, depending on how far you are prepared to push it, you might want to consider changing the stock CPU cooler to something more efficient.
Trevor Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Major Player

Matt:
"Vegas to fall back onto its less-memory-friendly compatibility decoder."

I dont understand what this really meant.
When i import an 1GB m2t file capture with hdvsplit, vegas uses about 300mb memory. When i import an 1GB m2t file, captured with vegas8, it als uses about 300mb memory. So what's the difference?
Today, i upgraded to 2GB ram, it seems good, BUT i loose dual ddr channel.
4x512 is not a good idea for intel 865PE chipset, because i get half of memory speed :(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...