Monitor color profile Studio RGB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor color profile Studio RGB

Hi folks,

just been setting up to color grade a feature film - here's my monitor setup, which unfortunately doesnt include a broadcast grade monitor:

nvidia Geforce7600GS outputting DVI to HDMI on a Samsung 42" LCD LE40R51B (a big consumer LCD) plus a HP LCD 1702 computer monitor for editing.

In Vegas's Preview Device settings the Samsung is the Windows Secondary Display. I have unchecked the 'Apply De-interlace Flicker' box as I guess the Samsung will have hardware to do that already since its a ddomestic set and it will save processing power(?)

I have checked the Use Color Management box and set the color profile to an ICC profile made in the Adobe Gamma wizard, based on the default sRGBColorSpaceProfile.

Now, i have not checked the Use StudioRGB (16 to 235) box as i am guessing that my ICC profile already outputs sRGB levels. When i do check this box (with my sRGB ICC profile still in use) my pictures look underexposed... i really hope i am setting this up right as if the second setup is correct then my pictures really look terrible!

cheers,

baldwin

p.s. my project is HDV 1080i (1440x1080) shot on a Z1 and will be outputting to DVD.

Last edited by Baldwin Li; January 15th, 2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: just one more detail
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

8bit project: Check the studio RGB box HDV.
32-bit project: Leave it unchecked for HDV. (Unless you are working withHDV converted to Cineform.)

http://glennchan.info/articles/vegas...or/v8color.htm

Quote:
Now, i have not checked the Use StudioRGB (16 to 235) box as i am guessing that my ICC profile already outputs sRGB levels.
sRGB refers to something else.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

many thanks glen, turns out that i was applying two levels of colour correction with Adobe Gamma still on and then Vegas using the ICC profile to colour correct again and thus my footage looked underexposed. disabled Adobe Gamma in the startup (msconfig) and then the footage looks about right now. read up a bit on sRGB at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB_color_space which referes to the colour space, and as you saym, something other than 'studio RGB'.

There are a few different profiles in my ICC folder - i used adobe gamma to make a new profile for my Samsung LCD based on the 'sRGB Color Space Profile.icm' does that make sense? Or should i have used AdobeRGB or sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_noBPC.icc or sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_withBPC.icc? ive read up some of the stuff at http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter but havent managed to decipher a great deal.

is there an alternative software to Adobe Gamma for creating ICC profiles? i really dont trust my myopic eyes and the tiny boxes they put on your screen. ive had a scout around for some other software ICC creators but can't find much that isnt hardware-based.

basically, im just concerned that what im seeing has some semblance of accuracy before i start colour grading otherwise it'd be a bit pointless!

cheers,

baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...