Cancel a render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cancel a render

How come if I begin a render using Vegas 8, whether its audio, video or both, and I attempt to cancel it Vegas completely freezes up and the only way to close it is CTRL ALT DEL.

Has anyone else had this issue or heard of it? I'm fairly sure it's not a system problem since I have absolutely no other problems with anything else be it Vegas, DVDA, or any other app. It's only canceling a render that's messed up.
Michael Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Not sure. I hit cancel and the rendering stops.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would like to see a Pause render function.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mine does it also (some times)
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'm digging up this thread because the same thing keeps happening to me and is really starting to get irritating.

Not only does it just sit there on a canceled render, sometimes a render will reach 100% but not give me the "close" option and again...just sits there. Ctrl Alt Del shows the program is running.

Vegas 8.0c. Any clues?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM   #6

Usually, mine pretty well stops immediately. Sometimes (i.e. when doing a format with a long GOP structure) it will finish the current GOP before it finishes.

I have seen a time or two when the render would get to 100% but didn't see to finish but definitely not a routine thing in my usage.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Lorinda, this might sound odd, but try this.

Go into MS Windows power settings set you power plan to high performance (if it is not already there).

Then go through those settings individually. Make sure every item is set to not turn off.

For example for hard discs: instead of turning off at 20 minutes, set to 0 minutes or never.

Then make sure your indexing is disabled on each hard drive.

Then turn off system restore, unless you are too afraid. You shouldn't be, I haven't used it once in my life.

Disable remote connections to your computer.

Turn off windows update.

Then turn off your screen saver.

Then disable your paging file.

Reboot, open up any folder and go to tools> folder options > view > then uncheck "hide protected operating files" .

Go to drive C or wherever drive Windows is located then find the pagefile.sys and right click on it and delete.

Then defragment your hard drives.

In the run box type in msconfig and hit enter and uncheck every item in the startup tab.

Turn your paging file back on but set the upper and lower limit to the same amount. Just make the amount whatever the recommended size it.

Reboot and defrag again.

Your computer should be running much better now at the least,

And your problem should now be gone at best.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Then turn off system restore, unless you are too afraid. You shouldn't be, I haven't used it once in my life.
I used to agree with this but not anymore. Since it's solved my problems a few times, I feel it's worth leaving on. Yeah, it takes some disk space. But it's also saved me a few times as well.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

OK Lorinda, it is not a big deal to leave that on if you want to. And that single item will really not affect much.

However the combination of taking the listed steps, which I perform with every windows installation, really helps create the smoothest possible PC experience.

The single most important step of all, I beleive it to do the msconfig thing and turn off everything. Next most important is to adjust your power settings, IMO.

Now here is where it could get controversial depending on whom you talk with. I do not run virus protection. I do not run Windows Defender. Upon researching Defender I found that many experts declared it pretty much useless. I run off of a router and with Windows firewall I don't get viruses. Maybe I do and don't know it, but I reinstall windows every couple of months anyway so I don't care.

Anyway, by disabling every startup item you are turning off those features that could be causing you problems.

For example, Nero has features in its suite that can cause all kinds of litlle issue. By disabling it and everything and all other startup items you might find your problem solved.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Wrangler

Thanks, guys. Jeff, everything was already turned off, etc. up to the first defrag. With three 1TB drives this part is going to take a bit. I'll check the rest after that and let you know... :)

I don't run virus protection, either. The only time this PC gets a whiff of the Internet is when I have trouble with registrations.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dang Lorinda, I can't imagine what is happening.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Wrangler

it worked!

Ah, but I hadn't finished doing everything you said, Jeff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The single most important step of all, I beleive it to do the msconfig thing and turn off everything. Next most important is to adjust your power settings,
I'm thinking that "msconfig thing" has to be the ticket since everything else was already done. I've started and canceled two renders and they were gone in the blink of an eye. Well done and...THANKS!!! :D
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Great! Something to remember is that the best way to turn off startup features is not with msconfig, but when possible to it with the programs themselves, though some programs don't give you the option.

And when you use msconfig to turn off items, when you use a specific program again, some of them will reactivate the program to startup automatically again; they can be slippery little buggers, so periodically check it.

Oh and turn off auto updates too if you haven't already. Then periodically turn in back on, check for updates, let it install what you want, then turn it back off.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...