Vegas 9.0 so far so good at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 9.0 so far so good

Isn't it funny how these programs work great for some and don't work at all for others. I guess it isn't really funny....... probably a bit frustrating at times. My problems were with 8.0 and 8.1 and the solution was 9.0, while others the problem is 9 and the solution is going back to 8.
As a novice, 9.0 has worked great for me. I rendered my first "problem free" 13 minute video a few days ago on 9.0. Previously, 8.0 and 8.1 projects took a day to build and two weeks to try and work out the bugs. My problem with 8.0 and 8.1 was the video portion of the clips were sticking at the transition points YouTube - Stuck Problem stuttering 0001
Since I upgraded to 9.0, I have had zero problems. I am a novice, use simple transitions, few effects and render to HD WMV anywhere from CBR 6.4mbs to 22 mbs. I think the picture quality is very good (it is totally possible that I do not know what I am talking about). I have also used the VBR setting, but the files tend to reach 6 GB plus and therefore will not fit on a std DVD.
I hope they get the bugs worked out that many of you are experiencing. I will say, that I have learned quite a bit on this forum but have a long way to go. I noticed many problems seem to be with "Main Concept" renderings. Would someone be so kind as to provide a short explanation as to the advantages of this over my WMV renderings?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Last edited by Doug Marcum; May 27th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Congrats, glad it is working out so well for you!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3

Doug,
MainConcept engine is used for MPEG-based rendering.
Many of the problems experienced in Vegas are all the various versions, various OS's, hardware configs, etc. We run Vegas Pro9 on several machines, and are experiencing some 64 bit issues, and some Vista issues. XP machines that are older/slower aren't having any issues at all. My old MacBook Pro with Bootcamp has no issues.
Given the possiblities, it's a difficult line to toe... but that doesn't help the guy that is having issues.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Doug,

Thanks for the "Main Concept" explanation.
I truly feel for those having troubles with 9.0 and any software. I did not intend to make light of other people's struggles with 9.0. It can truly be a pain. I have been there and it is not fun when you spend several hundred dollars on anything and it does not work as advertised. My original post was more in response to all the posts describing problems with 9.0 and the solution in most cases was to go back to an older version.
I spent more than two weeks of trouble shooting on two separate projects with 8.0 and 8.1. (Read as two weeks per project) I greatly reduced the quality of my projects by eliminating really nice clips and by the end I just wanted to be done. I installed 9.0, expected the worst, hoped for the best and my first project went without a single hitch and very nice quality. I've made several changes and no problems. I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I feel that sometimes all we hear are the problems with something and no one speaks up about the successes and a product can get written off as a total lost cause. In my case, and maybe only in my case, 9.0 works fine........ so far.....
I certainly wish everyone the best of luck and I enjoy learning from their experience, successes and challenges.

Doug
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Doug, it is like someone else said recently, Sony can't possibly test every configuration, so it would seem almost impossible to predict who will be ok and who won't be.

When 8.1 came out I had no luck with it, and I had what I thought was a very good PC. Many others used it with no problems at all.

I was working on a project earlier that I had started in Vegas 9, and twice it froze on me for a lengthy period of time, and this was with SD footage. Why Vegas 9 has been so buggy for me (and a few others) seems to make no sense, but there it is.

I opened and worked on a multicam hd project a while ago in Vegas 8 and it worked flawlessly. Go figure. Just consider yourself fortunate!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 27th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good evening,

With several major projects on the roll I have only experimented with Version 9.

the 32 bit has seemed to work just fine for me on both my new I7 quad and my old dual core.

the 64 bit has been a let down mostly because I can't use my cineform files properly.

I am going to give them a real run and gun the next few weeks!!
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Major Player

I wish I could say I was having no issues. I'm seeing a lot of weird issues, mostly surrounding the cineform codec. Video in the preview/trimmer window disappears and I can't render anything solid in cineform .avi. If I do render in that codec, the video gets really jumpy like it's rearranging the frames like a rubik's cube. Kind if like, in a 24 frame project, frames go like this:
1,2,3,8,5,14,4,6,7,22,. . .
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Heath, Cineform is known to not work properly with Vegas 9, but I have read they are addressing it. From my understanding this is not a Sony issue but a Cineform issue, but I could be wrong.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Trustee

I can't get Vegas 9 to run at all, even after a re-install. When the splash screen message shows "Initializing Device Explorer", I get a windows message telling me that Vegas has encountered a problem and needs to close.

My system is Core2 Quad, Intel MB, running Win XP Pro. Vegas 8 which is still installed is running fine.

Sony tech support suggested disabling all the on-microsoft serviuces in the windows startup, but this didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions please?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Richard, the only thing else I might suggest is to disconnect any external devices (like a deck or camera or scanner) and then see if it starts. I know that step is much slower for me in 9 that it is in 8 (but it does get past it for me).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Heath, Cineform is known to not work properly with Vegas 9, but I have read they are addressing it. From my understanding this is not a Sony issue but a Cineform issue, but I could be wrong.
That's kind of what I figured it would be. Good thing this project is done. :)
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Richard, it seems this upgrade is working out differently for different people.

If it will not run at all, you might try and go though your installed programs and uninstall anything you do not need.

Other than that I would suggest a complete reinstall of windows, and then install Vegas 9 first after all of your drivers are installed.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM   #13
Trustee

Edward and Jeff, thanks for the replies. I will see what I can unplug or disable, and try again. I'll also look at what codecs I might have installed and try removing them.

Richard
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #14
Trustee

I tracked the problem down to the dongle for my old Logic 5 music software. I only use it occasionally for converting projects to a newer format, so I can live with the dongle unplugged most of the time. Just happy it wasn't something more serious.

Still haven't used Vegas 9 in earnest though, that might take a bit longer.

Thanks again for the help.

Richard
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

Good to hear it was that simple and that you found it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...