What happened to Douglas Spotted Vegas 8 Book? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
There is an "Instant Vegas Movie Studio" book available at Amazon, etc, authored by myself and John Rofrano.
Thank you, sir. In case you haven't heard it enough, you are a treasure.

Edit: It appears that book only covers to version 6. I guess I'll have to get the Pro 8 book and figure out what is relevant and what's not.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #17

At the 'basics' level, there is no difference between Vegas Movie Studio 6,7, or 8. Everything in there applies, but in any event...*most* of the changes to the app are under the hood and are not overt
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Major Player

I pre-ordered the Vegas Pro 8 Editing Workshop book from Books A Million around the middle of March and received it the week of April 8.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I received my copy within 5 business days from the date I placed the order. I have glanced at it just briefly havent had the chance to go through it in detail as my marirage is in a months time so a little tied up right now.

I try to read few pages every now and then but went through table of contents and I am sure I will learn a lot. As I am a beginner at this, while reading some of the content I strongly suggest for anyone who is also new to editing that they also have vegas open at the same time on their computer and try to use examples provided in book and apply them to get a better understanding.

Thank you Doug, I hope to learn a lot from this book :).

Cheers.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
At the 'basics' level, there is no difference between Vegas Movie Studio 6,7, or 8. Everything in there applies, but in any event...*most* of the changes to the app are under the hood and are not overt
Well, I am beyond the 'basics level' at this point. My biggest problem with Vegas is running headlong into Sony's dogged insistence on eschewing conventional NLE terminology, layout and workflow for those of us coming to Vegas from other editing software. I am a technically minded person with very good analytical and problem solving skills, but some of what Vegas requires just leaves me stumped. I've read the included manuals and the help files, but I don't want to be told just how to change a setting or button, I want to know what effect it will have on my project. It seems that one of the strengths of Vegas is in its customizability, but it takes a lot of effort and investigation to actually be able to use all the options available because Sony does a poor job of informing users. I'm hoping your Pro 8 book will be better at filling in the gaps.

Right now, I'm having a struggle with simple capturing in MSP. I want to do automated captures, but the in/out/length timecode boxes are always grayed out. The help file refers to an "Advanced Capture" tab, but I can't find it anywhere in my workspace or in the various menus. I have managed to capture successfully from my HV20, but as is usual with Vegas, I'm being forced to adopt a methodology that isn't to my liking. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that this aspect of Vegas is one thing that pushes a lot of people away. I'll make it work because I need the power of a more professional editor, but I don't have to like it.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...