distorted Vegas audio with Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

distorted Vegas audio with Vista

When playing back on timeline audio is distorted, wobbly. Began with intallation of Vista...anyone know of solution?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Do you have the latest drivers for your sound card?
Make sure Vegas is set to your sound card (Options - Prefs - Audio Device).
Mine keeps resetting itself to Microsoft Sound Mapper and I can't figure out why :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Mike, thanks but yes I'm using latest drivers. It is somehow related to Media Player and my Audigy 4, I think.

In XP had same issue after upgrading to latest MP, when I rolled back to MP 9 or 10 (I forget which one exactly) the problem was solved. But with Vista I don't know if that is an option, likely will try it anyway.

Didn't have this issue with 64 bit version of Vista the other day. I had to abandon 64 bit because of of the lack of 64 bit driver for my external controller card. How vers (64 vs 32bit) would make a diff is beyond me anyway.

I did change audio preferences in Vegas, only improved the quality of sound, not stability of playback (still wobbly).
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Audio with Vista is a tricky affair - or can be.

Pre-Vista, the default "model" used by applications and the OS for efficient audio performance is DirectSound. With Vista, DirectSound is deprecated and now only exists as a software emulation of the previous hardware-based audio processing.

During development of some software, I ran into this. Video + audio playback on XP was just fine. The same application on the same hardware but with Vista gave poor, choppy audio that even slowed down the video playback.

After wading through much MS documentation, I found the solution was to use the non-DirectSound model for audio - it doesn't change the soundcard that is used, just the driver type used.

I have further determined that the chipset of the soundcard is important, too.

In Vegas, you can manually choose the audio drivers to use. Go to "Preferences..." and select the "Audio Device" tab. By default, "Audio device type" will be set to "Microsoft Sound Manager" (at least it is on mine). Change it to "Windows Classic Wave Driver". You can now change settings for the various playback devices (front, rear etc).

Please let me know if this works or not as I'm trying to amass information about issues associated with audio performance from legacy applications on Vista.

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

John, after dinner I will give a try and post the results...
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Slight improvement, but still choppy. As I mentioned earlier, I ran into same thing with XP and newer Media Player. I suppose I can uninstall WMP and use another player...though I don't want to do that.

Thanks John.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 6th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #7

Just curious...where are your master volume settings in Vegas? At default? Or have you pulled them down so that they're not loud with your speaker settings?
On at least a dozen occasions, i've received discs with horrible audio, and eventually had the project sent to me. In every instance, Master was reduced, and in some cases, track levels were actually increased above 0dB
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Spot, in this case I haven't touched the master...brand new install of everything.

Actually, the volume and tonal quality, etc, is fine. The problem is more like the sound is speeding up and slowing down, kinda like it's drunk, for lack of a better way of putting it.

Since changing the setting in Audio Devices to wav as John suggested, it is better, but still wobbly.
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #9

Are you using Classic Wave Drivers? Changed audio settings to 48K?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Am using classic wave drivers, but couldn't find option in Audio tab or Audio device for changing to 48K. To be clear, I'm talking only about playback on the timeline. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

However, in response to your query while checking under the the advanced options under the Audio devices tab I found the "time sensitive" setting and the problem seems to be fixed!

I need to work with it some more to be sure, but that seems to have taken care of it!

Where might the 48k setting you refer be found?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...