Plays fine on some dvd players, not on others at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Plays fine on some dvd players, not on others

I am having trouble with a video I am working on and cannot seem to figure this one out. I am burning a completed dvd with architect, menus and all, and have no trouble playing it on computers and some dvd players. My problem is there are some DVD players I am using that are causing a weird what looks like interlace jumping on the video.

The video looks like it's running smooth, but any motion creates jumping, flickering shadows on the video. If I play it on a portbale DVD player it's fine, a computer it's fine, a few dvd players and it's fine. I tried it on a player connected to a projector and no problem, tried it on a player hooked to a CRT TV and it was jumpy. Anyone have any insight into this issue?
Kevin Borein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Kevin, read the following thread to see if this helps:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=118172

there was a lot of great advice given to me on this subject...best I've seen...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So far lowering the bit rates hasn't helped. I am getting what almost looks like a strobe effect, like someone is using a strobelight when people are moving, but it only does it on the motion, the video itself runs totally smooth. It has to be something with the interlacing somehow i would assume, but what that may be i have no idea. i am gonna test it by rendering some different test clips with different settings onto one dvd and play them all back.
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Are the DVD players you are having trouble with older/cheaper?
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No it's a brand new sony dvd player, with the option for progressive on or off. I have tried it with the switch on and off with the same results on both.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Wish I could help. Please update when you have a solution. As you know someone is likely to drop in anytime with an idea...good luck. Very interested to know your problem/solution.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Apparently CRT TV's don't like a video set to progressive or lower field interlacing, but it worked when I switched it to upper field. Go figure.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Interesting. I have had trouble with a very few older dvd players, but never seemed to be related to the settings you changed. Good information to have, thanks for the update! Glad you found a solution.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...