Can't open Media Library at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1
New Boot

Can't open Media Library

I had an OS failure with Vista recently and had to reinstall all applications including Vegas 8. Incidentally, I have purchased Vegas 8 as an upgrade from Vegas 6 so I had to install Vegas 6 first and then upgrade it.

Anyway, Vegas 8 will not open my media library. I get an error simply stating that "The Media Library ____ could not be opened."

If I try to open the same media library from Vegas 6, I get the error telling me that I don't have permission to open the file.

There is mention in the help file that if the log file is deleted, you can't open the media library. Maybe this has something to do with my problem. There is no .ldf file in the folder with my media library file.

Here is what the help file says:

"When you open a media library, the Media Manager tool creates a transaction log file. This file is created in the same folder as the .medialib file and uses the same base name as the .medialib file. For example, the transaction log file for default.medialib would be default_log.ldf.

Do not delete these log files. Doing so will prevent you from opening the associated library. When the Media Manager tool closes, it automatically removes the log file. If the application terminates inappropriately, close all running ACID or Vegas windows, restart the software, and close the application to clear the log file."

I have tried starting and closing Vegas as suggested above, but the problem persists.

Does anyone know how to recover my media library?

Thank you!!!
Jim Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #2
New Boot

I figured it out!

Through some wild ass guesswork, I tried changing the access rights to the media library file. I added the "Everyone" group to access the file and set the access rights to full. This is done by right clicking the file, selecting Properties, then the Security tab, then click Edit..., then click Add and then type in "Everyone"

I hope this helps any other Vista users on Vegas who may have the same issue.

I am SO glad this is solved! I have countless hours of work in the tagging and commenting of the files in my media library.
Jim Vetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...