Magic Bullet Looks - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #31
Major Player

On my Quad Core preview is fine on Best Auto with the screen at the smaller size (double click on the blu bar of the preview window). Best Full is choppy as you describe at either size.

It's REALLY good. This is kinda like Photoshop for video.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Not sure what the cheapest route is but I think it's a good investment at even the list price!

Regarding the slow down in performance, there are certain tools which have a significant impact and could well cause the slow down you're experiencing. I will look through the beta testers notes and report back.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #33
Inner Circle

It's a shame that the Vegas version doesn't allow you to use masks or keyframes like the After Effects version, and the inability to view the results of an effect in real time or preview via firewire to a production monitor are also minor niggles, but overall I think this is a stunning toolbox.

I wholeheartedly recommend every Vegas user to take a look at the demo.

Re performance - things that affect focus, eg the swing tilt tool, will have a much greater impact. Try the simple black and white preset looks and see how that differs from the Focus Left Cool preset.

I'm rendering out a complex 18 minute project right now and I have MB at track level on all video tracks and then further instances on roughly 20% of clips at event level (plus a similar number of Color Curves). The render is around 3 hours on a quadcore 6700 (although I just noticed that CPU usage averages around 50% and peaks at 65% on all four processors - am I right in believing I can force it to use 100% of the processors?).

And good news for Photoshoppers. Red Giant is building a version for PS!
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #34
Major Player

The lack of keyframes is a HUGE omission. I found myself instantly wishing it had that. Do you think it will be added or are us poor Vegas users doomed to have a crippled version?
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I'm afraid it looks like that is a limitation of Vegas rather than something Red Giant forgot to put in. Not sure exactly what the limitation is but that's how they described it to me. I guess keyframed masks could be created on a duplicate copy of the track but it's a shame not to be able to keyframe the values of the effects.

Even so, pretty bleedin' nice, innit??
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #36
Major Player

"An OpenGL error ocurred ..."

I just installed the Looks for Vegas demo version (XP, single core CPU, Vegas 8.0b).
But when inserting Looks in the Vegas effects chain and clicking on edit I get an error message starting "An OpenGL error ocurred ...". Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Yes Ian, it is very nice....beautiful stuff.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #38
New Boot

MB rendering time/Vegas 8

I know this depends on many factors - such as CPU speed, etc... - but how much time in average it would take me to render a 100 minutes project (with Magic Bullet effects all the way) into MPG2 and/or QT using Vegas 8?

I understand Magic Bullet slows rendering time a lot, but how much more. A few days ago I rendered a 40 minute project without using Magic Bullet, and I believe it took me a couple of hours, with good preview, easy. Now this current project (with MB) has been rendering for 3 hours and there's no preview (I am assuming MB has something to do with it) and still 0%.

Thanks!
Guile Branco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #39
Inner Circle

A 100 minute project with MB effect all the way through, if you have an old processor will take a LONG LONG time. There is no average speed that is documented. Processor speed is everything.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #40
New Boot

I have a"Intel Quad Core" 2.40GHZ - so I think its pretty fast.
The render now is at about 7 hours - and still shows 0% - the aproximate time left goes up to around 24hrs then down to 5 hrs then back up... Is this normal?
Guile Branco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #41
Major Player

Doesn't sound right to me. What does the cpu activity look like in your task manager?

Ctrl/Alt/Del then performance tab.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #42
Inner Circle

I agree with Alastair - looks like something has gone wrong.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Great News!

Now....what is the cheapest route to getting it?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=123627 Is this any good, Alastair?
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #44
Major Player

Darn an Blast!!!!!!

Too late! I jumped almost immediately. Maybe an e-mail to Dave will work?

It is just a whole new chapter in what you can do with video though, so, I'm not grumbling.....too much!
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Guile, I notice you said that it took a couple of hours to render a 40 minute project without MB the other day. With a Quad core just like yours my workstation would render out a 40 minute project in 18 minutes or so. Is there something else going on in your project that is slowing it down?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...