Vegas to Avid or FCS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas to Avid or FCS

Hi im new to the fourm and would like to ask this question.
I have been a Vegas user for years and love the NLE but in order to move forward in the industry i'm finding Vegas is not a standard used by most Pro house's, i dont know why? as Vegas makes sense and is so easy to use.
I have tried Avid MC and this seems so backwards to do the most simple things, like moving video and audio together, Vegas does this with ease as we all know.

Having never used FCS and only ever having a quick play at the local shop, does Avid work like FCS or does FCS act more like Vegas.
I'm thinking of changing NLE to FCS but would like to hear from others who have been thinking which way to go or who have made the transition.

Is Avid here to stay or has FCS taken over as the leading NLE.
What do others think about Vegas being a threat to Avid or FCS in the future?

Nick

Last edited by Nick Stone; June 24th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If Vegas has served you well, and you had to make a change to a more widely used professional NLE, Final Cut Studio Pro or Adobe Premier would be good choices, IMO.

For me it would be left vs. right brain...the intuitiveness of Vegas I think is closer to FCP or Premier than Avid.

While I'm always happy to see NLE's discussed, I recommend you also present this question to both the FCP board and the Avid board also. There you will find former Vegas users who are now happy with another NLE.

Here you will find people who do use two or more NLEs, and I believe the answers you get here might be more ambiguous. Many who use two or more here prefer Vegas because of it's simplicity, but on occasion have to use the others for various reasons.

I've been down this road you are on, and Avid was not for me. It is fantastic in it's abilities and plug in support, but it's interface and workflow are so counter-intuitive for me I gave it up quickly.

I might add that as far as Vegas being a threat to other professional NLE's, it is not even on the radar. The only threat in the marketplace, I believe is FCP closing in on a segment of Avid's buisness, particularly local production houses and television stations, but that is it.

Don't forget to look at Premier, some swear by it, and it's plug in support is excellent.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 24th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #3

FWIW...

I moved to Avid. Yes, it's not intuitive. In fact, I am going to school to learn it. But, as I learn, I can see the depth and flexibility of Avid. It will do things that none of the other NLE's I use, can do, and do them more efficiently. OTOH, it also has some rather arcane ways of doing things.

So, nothing is perfect, but, I'm really liking Avid. Used correctly, it's stable, flexible and fast.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...