DVDA problems and 1GB limit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1
New Boot

DVDA problems and 1GB limit

I'm using DVDA 4.0 and I have two questions for all you experts out there. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro to render my video-files. I usually render to DV-AVI.

1. I have several large files that fit onto the disc. When I let DVDA take care of making the DVD-files (the VOBS) some of the files get jerky, sort of strobing effect or lagging. Why this happens to some files I do not know, anybody have an idea?

2. To solve this problem, I let APP render the vob-files. Since I do not want DVDA to render the files for me, I have to split the files larger than 1GB myself. This results in a pause between the files. How can I avoid this? Up to know I have had to fade to black at a natural point in the timeline and split the file there, but I know there has to be a smarter solution.

Please help!
Alexander Kristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Why aren't you rendering to Mpeg2 out of Premiere? That's the native format for DVDs.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

VOB files *ARE* limited to 1 Gig in size. If you render to a DVD compliant MPEG2 file (which can be larger than 1 Gig), DVD Architect will NOT re-render it but will simply convert it to the proper VOB files before burning. If you render to DV-AVI, you should be able to render the whole thing to a single file (assuming NTFS file system) and DVD Architect would then convert it to the proper VOB files with no pauses between sections.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Why aren't you rendering to Mpeg2 out of Premiere? That's the native format for DVDs.
Because I get the errormessage "File Error: The selected file is not of the required type" when I try to insert media. Why can't I insert my mpeg-files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
VOB files *ARE* limited to 1 Gig in size. If you render to a DVD compliant MPEG2 file (which can be larger than 1 Gig), DVD Architect will NOT re-render it but will simply convert it to the proper VOB files before burning. If you render to DV-AVI, you should be able to render the whole thing to a single file (assuming NTFS file system) and DVD Architect would then convert it to the proper VOB files with no pauses between sections.
Good idea. I would do that if I was able to insert the media. I have tried with both mpeg and m2v-files. Rendering to DV-AVI and then again to VOB is not good for quality.
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kristiansen View Post
Because I get the errormessage "File Error: The selected file is not of the required type" when I try to insert media. Why can't I insert my mpeg-files?
It might be how your are setting up your Mpeg2 files. I know that in Vegas, we must split the audio off seperately. This might be stopping you. Also make sure your bitrates are legal.
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #6
New Boot

In the "Insert Media" dialog box, I can't even see mpeg or 2mv as valid file-types...
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
It might be how your are setting up your Mpeg2 files. I know that in Vegas, we must split the audio off seperately. This might be stopping you. Also make sure your bitrates are legal.
This is not true. It is *recommended* that you render the audio separately but it is not *REQUIRED*.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #8

If MPG and M2V are not even showing up as pickable options, there is definitely something wrong.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
This is not true. It is *recommended* that you render the audio separately but it is not *REQUIRED*.
Really? I'll have to try that. I know that when I select the template from Vegas to go to disk, it has audio turned off. Bad assumption on my part.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #10

Yes, the DVD Archtect presets have the audio turned off under the assumption you'll then want to render the audio separately to AC3. However, you can go to the audio tab, turn it back on, and the audio will be included and accepted by DVD Architect. However, you'll lose some quality as the audio will be decompressed before being recompressed into AC3.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
If MPG and M2V are not even showing up as pickable options, there is definitely something wrong.
Strange thing, I checked DVDA 4.0 just for the heck of it. No problem there, I inserted mpeg2 material and there also was a choice for this in the dialog-box. But not in 4.5, there is no mpeg2 choice in the dialog-box. Inserting mpeg2-material by choosing the "All files"-choice in the dialog-box causes an error. Any ideas????
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I let APP render the vob-files.
Premiere doesn't make VOB files. You're DVD authoring app does this.

You need to let Premiere create that DVD compliant file first.

Select File --> Export ---> Adobe Media Encoder, then select a MPEG2 template.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #13

If DVD Architect 4.0 works and 4.5 doesn't show those options, I'd try reinstalling 4.5.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...