DVDA with Photoshop Elements... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Major Player

DVDA with Photoshop Elements...

I'm trying to import a PSD file for a menu made with elements but get the error...

"the file does not conform to the required specifications"

Pressing the Details button says...

"the file has no valid layers".

Huh?

This is a standard layered photoshop file. What's the trick?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You may try flattening it and seeing if that works.

DVD Architect can use the layers (when specifically named a certain way) to automate some menu features. It could be some layers are named in such a way that it's confusing it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
DVD Architect can use the layers (when specifically named a certain way) to automate some menu features. It could be some layers are named in such a way that it's confusing it.
Thanks Edward.

It seems to work when using the layer naming conventions in the help file but that's too much work.

I might try installing my copy of the full photoshop app instead of trying to do this in elements.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I do happen to have a few videos were I used a graphic I designed in Photoshop CS3 and some videos were I did use Flash CS3 to give certain effects to my music video.

I manage to get all my graphics into vegas by saving them as JPEG in Photoshop.
Just select JPEG when you click the save as button. Works for me.
But however, I have never tried this with DVDA, so please forgive me if i have gone of subject.
Matthew Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5

You may be better off using PNG or some other less lossy format than JPEG. But, I'll agree, I've never had any issues with JPEGs either.
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
You may be better off using PNG or some other less lossy format than JPEG. But, I'll agree, I've never had any issues with JPEGs either.
Yeah, I know I can import other file formats into DVDA but doesn't that defeat the purpose of using layers and having greater control over designining your own buttons?

Maybe I misunderstand Sony's intent here when they made it compatible with PSD files but I do think that's the reason folks.
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #7

If you still have the original PSD, you still have the layering. But if you're wanting to use these as buttons with layers, using the DVD Architect naming convention for the layers would be required. Otherwise, how would DVD Architect know what the various layers are? And, as you said, they worked using the DVD Architect naming convention. So why not just name them as DVD Architect desires?
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
So why not just name them as DVD Architect desires?
Because I was surprised I had to do this. :)

I'm coming from Adobe Encore which does this all for you and allows one to name the layers anything you like. It's totally transparent to the end user.

Either this "method" of extracting layers in a PSD file is a secret and proprietary to Adobe or the Vegas coders just didn't put that functionality into DVDA. I'm thinking it's the latter (and wondering why).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...