Vegas multi-camera joy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas multi-camera joy

Just to say I do love the Vegas multi-camera function which is fantastic - used it for a 2 camera shoot. But i cant find in th emanual how to restore the original 2 tracks, they disappear leaving the final edited one. Anyone help in restoring the original tracks?
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Trustee

The newly created multicam track stays as one trcak after multicam editing is finshed/disabled.

What you want to do is, after you've sync'd up the tracks,and BEFORE you create a multicam track, duplicate the 2 video tracks, so now you've got 4 video tracks, THEN select 2 video tracks (one from each cam) and create the multicam track , you now got 2 spare video tracks, already sync'd to use as spare after completing the multicam track.
If you don't need them after then delete them.

Paul.
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
Just to say I do love the Vegas multi-camera function which is fantastic - used it for a 2 camera shoot. But i cant find in th emanual how to restore the original 2 tracks, they disappear leaving the final edited one. Anyone help in restoring the original tracks?
Download the demo for Edius and see how wonderful multicam can really be!!! All tracks stay there, post editing of cut points can be shifted with the mouse etc etc. Now for audio editing ...... stay with Vegas!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Major Player

The "duplicate" tracks method paul refers to is too cumbersome for me as I will sometimes have a half dozen other supporting audio tracks synched up with the video.

I just synch everything up first before starting the multicam edit then do a "save as" making myself a temporary copy of the project. I then reopen the first project and make the edit. Once I'm done I just open the saved project with all the extra audio tracks in it, copy and paste those in the multicam edit. Being able to have multiple copies of Vegas makes this pretty painless.

I'm new with Vegas so if there's a more conventional way to do this with a lot of tracks I'd like to hear it.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Rick, I think Paul is only suggesting you duplicate the video tracks which you can lock to the audio tracks. I may have misunderstood, but creating a whole separate veg appears to be even more cumbersome. I had a bad night though, so my brain is numb this morning!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Download the demo for Edius and see how wonderful multicam can really be!!! All tracks stay there, post editing of cut points can be shifted with the mouse etc etc. Now for audio editing ...... stay with Vegas!!
Hmm... Maybe the Edius users should download Vegas and the scripting multi-cam solutions like Excalibur or Ultimate S and then THEY could see how wonderful multi-cam can really be!

While multi-cam is built-in in Vegas Pro 8, multi-cam has been available for over 5 years in Vegas!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Hmm... Maybe the Edius users should download Vegas and the scripting multi-cam solutions like Excalibur or Ultimate S and then THEY could see how wonderful multi-cam can really be!

While multi-cam is built-in in Vegas Pro 8, multi-cam has been available for over 5 years in Vegas!
Edward, Excaliber is a wonderful product but it isn't part of Vegas its a $130 product that integrates with Vegas. The multicam in Vegas 8 and CS3 as standard both collapse the timeline in multicam mode which in my mind makes them useless. Edius does not and with one button one can switch back and forth between the modes at will and modify at anytime. If one wishes it too will collapse to another single track still leaving all the originals in place too something neither Vegas 8 or CS3 can do in their standard form as purchased. I have all three NLE's for different reasons, they all have their strengths and weakness.

Ron Evans
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Rick, I think Paul is only suggesting you duplicate the video tracks which you can lock to the audio tracks. I may have misunderstood, but creating a whole separate veg appears to be even more cumbersome. I had a bad night though, so my brain is numb this morning!
All you do is open a veg file. synch up camera on different tracks. Save it as camera tracks. Then resave as multicam under a different name. Then initiate the multicam edit process by making the multicam rack. All that is ever created is a simple .veg file, which is not made of video tracks, but is made up of instruction on what to do with raw original video tracks. What is cumbersome about that. You don't even open a new window, as the save as function does it.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris, it wasn't so much the creation of the second veg as the copying and pasting of the tracks back into the original that Rick talked of that I thought was cumbersome.

Rick said . . .:

"I just synch everything up first before starting the multicam edit then do a "save as" making myself a temporary copy of the project. I then reopen the first project and make the edit. Once I'm done I just open the saved project with all the extra audio tracks in it, copy and paste those in the multicam edit."

. . . which appears to be different to your method and involves more steps, hence my comment about it seeming more cumbersome than just duplicating the video tracks and muting/minimising them as required.

But to be honest, I'm not an event videographer and I haven't used (and don't expect to use) the multicam features of Vegas, so this was just an uninformed observation.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
which appears to be different to your method and involves more steps, hence my comment about it seeming more cumbersome than just duplicating the video tracks and muting/minimising them as required.
I see what you're saying but again, duplicating a dozen tracks just seems too cluttered for me. Maybe if I didn't have all the other audio sources I have it would be ok.

It's just a lot easier for me to open another instance of Vegas with the original synched timelines (before I invoked multicam)... copy all the audio tracks and paste them into the multicam edit. Takes all of 10 seconds.

This is a workflow I'm just carrying over from Premiere. I haven't quite figured out how to apply any CC filters to the footage before I start multicam though. I think I have to do in the project media window first.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ah, I just meant duplicating the video tracks.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Ah, I just meant duplicating the video tracks.
right. with just the video duplicated (and synchronized to the multiple audio tracks which have all been grouped to they don't get un-synced) then it should be easy to duplicate the video.

But I agree that the behavior of Vegas is annoying when the tracks get combined AND all the clip video fx (like color correction) disappear. Seems like it Vegas should have left the clip FX alone OR left the tracks where they were and just performed the cuts. I personally would prefer that the clips would be left on the initial tracks so I could apply track level color correction (media color correction doesn't work if lighting conditions change inside of the same clip).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM   #13
Major Player

I had to giggle at Ron's reply to Ed. Ron clearly wasn't aware that Ed wrote Excalibur. I'd be interested in hearing more about his take on all this.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I had to giggle at Ron's reply to Ed. Ron clearly wasn't aware that Ed wrote Excalibur. I'd be interested in hearing more about his take on all this.
My reply was specifically because I did know Ed wrote Excaliber and it is a good program. I have had Vegas since it was an audio only program so am well aware of the people who have written programs for Vegas over the years. But it isn't Vegas its Excaliber running in Vegas. As I mentioned Vegas and CS3 multicam are poor in comparison to Edius. IF you need to spend $130 to make Vegas a usable multicam then in stock form it isn't very good.

Ron Evans
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Seems like it Vegas should have left the clip FX alone OR left the tracks where they were and just performed the cuts.
I'm guessing they looked at it every which way before integrating the multicam feature as it is now. Keeping the FX on the track level would bring a 4 cam edit down to a crawl in the preview windows which incidently is what the Excalibur demo did on my system.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...