Colour Correction Summary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Colour Correction Summary

Hi,

I hope some of you might find the attached aide-memoire about colour and colour correction of use. I hope it's reasonably complete and correct but please feel free to make any input you might think useful.

The document is a Word document broken into Tables and is designed to fit on to two sided of A4 paper (which I've laminated and keep by my side when I'm working with Vegas)

Best Wishes,

Richard Jones
Attached Files
File Type: doc Colour Correction Summary.doc (88.5 KB, 685 views)
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Thank you for your work, Richard.
Best
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Great stuff. Did you create document?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Old Boot

My earliest of comments are:

A] Well Done!

B] I feel that your comment at the end, on the Brightness and Contrast Fx, should appear at the beginning!

C] Unless I missed it, you carefully explain Previewing but it would appear you omit the valuable Clipboard comparison option. Why?

D] Your Measuring tools are carefully delineated vertically. But should the horizontal delineations have any relationship to each other? It is kind of implied/indicated, as they are gridded horizontally, and you have delineated the tools vertically, which I found counter-informative. How about if you removed the continuous horizontal grid lines? Unless I have got this totally wrong.

E] I like your explanation of the "COLOUR CORRECTION TECHNIQUES". Are you also indicating a critical-path workflow by doing/indicating it this way? Meaning: Do Step 1:Exposure > Do Step 2:Set White Balance then . . . . ?

How about including a colour sample to indicate the issue?

Very well done. It will influence many a starter and this memory-challenged individual too!

Best regards

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your supportive comments - they are much appreciated and any further advice will be welcomed.

Yes, Brian, it was my own work although compiled after a fair bit of research before being condensed into these Tables. When I came to look at colour I found the subject so vast and the instructions/guidance available so complex that I had to reduce it to this sort of analysis to keep myself on track without wasting too much time.

Grazie, many thanks for your considered and, as always, helpful comments. Looking at them:-

B. Good point and well taken.

C. Space was a problem. I wanted to keep it within two pages of A4 but will see if this can be done (in truth, I had thought I'd included it but I suppose we're all entitled to a senior moment now and again!)

D. No, you are right and this worried me as well. I'll give it some more thought.

E. No. I had originally given sequential numbers to the techniques but decided that this was suggesting a Work Flow which will not always be appropriate or suit everyone's way of working (although Expoasure and White balance are arghuably the best starting pointss before moving on to apply other techniques).

I should have loved to include a colour sample(s) but space was the problem as I wanted this to be a memory aid rather than a complete guide to colour. My hope that if anyone wants to explore an aspect any further this will help guide them to the appropriate instructions in the manuals, text books etc.

Best Wishes,

Richard
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks, this is very welcome information.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just to round this off, I've adjusted the chart to reflect most of the suggestions and now attach this in case it is of interest.

Regards,

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: doc Colour Correction Summary.doc (86.5 KB, 457 views)
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

nice! always like looking at snapshot summaries of all things nle... thx for posting!

-rob
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Enormously appreciated Richard. Many thanks. I feel I should buy you a pint as you're just up the road!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you!

Thank you So Much, Just what I needed as a beginner :).

Cheers.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Beginner?!? I've worked with Vegas for 6+ years and it's just what I needed as well!!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks! great stuff --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Dude, this is awesome!

May your camel have many offspring! :-)

thx

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...