How do u select material for timeline insert? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

How do u select material for timeline insert?

New to Vegas 8.
Using final cut pro, I generally set in and out points in the viewer and then insert the selected portions into a timeline. Vegas doesn't seem to work like this.

If I have a 1/2 hr captured clip, how do u make multiple selections of pieces of the clip and build a timeline?

confused
dm
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If I'm wanting to select a bunch of pieces out of a clip, I tend to drop it on the timeline, split around the good pieces, and delete the pieces I don't want. Then I get rid of the gaps. Scripting can also help in this process as well.

Now... If I have a completed timeline with a 20 second hole in it, I'll find the piece I want in the trimmer and then add it to the timeline from there.

I typically don't use the trimmer except when I have specific holes to fill. 99% of the time, I just use the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Major Player

man, this is a totally different approach to editing. It seems like it's all timeline based. It's like subtractive editing in the timeline. Cut out what u don't want. I'm used to additive editing, build the timeline from in & out points selected in the "viewer" first. I guess I really don't get how to edit in vegas.
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

David,

I hope I haven't misunderstood you but isn't this what you do using the Trimmer?

There are mixed opinions about which approach is best but my general preference is to open the captured video in the Trimmer and select the scenes I want in the order I want using I and O and then pressing A to add to the Timeline from the cursor (you can vary this positioning and I think you can also drag your selection to the Timeline as well). I like this because the length and order of each scene can be set straight away but can well see that others would prefer to work in the way Edward describes.

Inidentally, the pros and cons of each approach might be worth considering in a thread of its own.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

David, you can do it either way. You can use the trimmer and add the pieces you want or you can use the timeline and delete the pieces you don't want. I find it easier to use the timeline. However, you have the option of doing it either way.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Major Player

OK, well then it seems that the trimmer IS used to select segments first. This is the way I'm used to editing. If I were to drop the 1/2hr piece straight into the timeline, it would be very messy. I need to use segments 10 minutes in before the beginning etc.... Cutting and moving things around doesn't seem like the best approach. the tutorial I have is lacking in the basic approach to previewing and cutting. Very confusing.
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

David,
I too use the trimmer for long clips and edit on the time line for short clips.
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

David,

My approach is to Batch Caprture the series of shots I want (e.g. those taken in one location or at a specific point in time) and double click on the capture piece I want to work on (in Explorer or Project Media) to open in the Trimmer. I then select the individual pieces I want to add to the Timeline in the order that I want them (using I and O and fine tuning the cut points using Alt and the L or R arrows), toggle with Tab to chose video only and/or sound only and/or both and then press A to add to the Timeline from the cursor position (Tab + A before the cursor). If necessary Ripple can be used if you're placing the selection between existing events on the Timeline but do be careful to switch this off afterwards.

Makes life very easy for me and allows me to edit quite quickly once I've made my decisions about order, length etc.

Good Luck. I think Vegas is a superb NLE system and largely intuitive but, as with all programmes, you do need to spend time researching how to do some things (the Help menu is quite good as is the Manual which is available on line).

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...