Contour Shuttle Pro with Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Trustee

Contour Shuttle Pro with Vegas

Has anyone used one of these Shuttle Pro's with Vegas?

Contour Design, Inc. - Innovative Ergonomic products for your computer.

A long time ago I had one made by Focus Enhancements but I wasn't doing as much editing as I am now so I didn't use it much. I'm thinking about getting one and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. If there is an appreciable increase in efficiency I think the $79 (at B&H) may be worth it.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Garrett,

I just purchased one a couple of weeks ago (happy father's day to me!). It's great.

Has taken a little while to get used to (I still find myself automatically reaching for the keyboard sometimes), and I have had to put a little thought into working out just which functions I want to assign to which buttons, but I am finding what works for me.

I have found that the benefits are as much ergonomic as economic. Since I now work a lot more "left hand on shuttle, right hand on mouse", i have a bit less of that computer slump that one invariably gets after long sessions; so it is less tiring.

Added benefit is that it works just as well with SoundForge, though I haven't worked on setting up my own key functions on that yet.

So for me, definitely worth having; I would recommend it.

Ciao,

marks

Last edited by Mark Stavar; September 17th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes I have the Shuttle V2 and I have it set up so that the buttons all do the same thing whether I am editing with Vegas or Edius, nice. Saves a lot of confusion!!! have it set up for Sound Forge as well.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have one. I started using it a lot, but before long I drifted back to the keyboard shortcuts. Vegas' shortcuts are great!

I still use the shuttle and jog controls on occasion, but not the Shuttle buttons.
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Use mine for editing, wouldn't be without it, as mentioned, shuttle on left arm of my comfy office chair, mouse on the right arm... lean back and edit! hardly ever use KBD, but I have anything I regularly do assigned to a button... takes a bit to program the buttons to your own style/taste, but it's worth it!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks everyone for the info. You all must have read my mind cause I was going to ask if you were using it on your left. Sounds like it mayb e a workth while investment.

Thanks again,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Sounds like it mayb e a workth while investment.
It's more of a luxury than an investment. But luxury is nice. :)

If you haven't done it yet, learn as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. That really adds efficiency. They keyboard is also faster than the jog wheel for frame accurate cursor placement, IMHO. But if you do a lot of scrubbing, the jog/shuttle control is nice to have. I don't know that it speeds me up though.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I use a shuttle pro with a wacom pen tablet, great combination!
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
I use a shuttle pro with a wacom pen tablet, great combination!
I have a Wacom as well. I can't live without it!
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Wacom & shuttlepro & mouse & track ball & touch pad...

Which touches on another aspect of using the shuttle pro and these other devices. Ergonomically, it's very good to have a variety of input devices. I have all the above and use them all at various times for relief from repetitive motion.

And, I use keyboard shortcuts for scrubbing as much as possible, which is great because when I'm on the road with my laptop I can still be a speedy editor.

Repetitive motion is the enemy. A variety of input devices is one of the solutions. Good ergonomics of chair, desk, monitors, and wrist relief are the others. Oh, maybe some time for rest, too :-)
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Old Boot

I had an issue with what I thought was Vegas. Nope. I was getting cursors that I couldn't place and regions being made willy-nilly. Ugh . . . OK, thinking back to a similar situation I had with my keyboard, a sticky shift key, I went through and by a method of elimination it appeared to be a mouse click not being "taken" - time for a new mouse. Now, in all this elimination I disconnected all my USB pointers - KB, mouse, graph pad AND my CSP.

I plug back everything and forgot my CSP.

I started to use VEgas and I quickly became aware just HOW dependant, important, flexible and necessary the CSP has become. I started reaching for the scrubbing wheel and remembered .. I reached for the STOP button, and remembered . . I tried to Jog through a small section . . well . . you get the picture.

I literally just read this post and thought this was a pertinent story to tell.

CSP? Pure luxury? Necessary? For me it is.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
CSP? Pure luxury? Necessary? For me it is.
User interfaces are extremely personal. Some people use menus, others use keyboard shortcuts - and some use voice recognition. Some people can't send a text to save their lives, others can touch type on their phones.

For Shuttle Pro I think the question is, "do you feel frustrated or slow when navigating the timeline?" If the answer is "yes", Shuttle Pro could be your savior. If the answer is "no", then it might be a luxury.

That said, Vegas has excellent shortcuts. Learning them is quick and free. Having and knowing shortcuts AND and Shuttle Pro AND and tablet would qualify most anyone as a power user.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Major Player

I have had one for about 2 years now. It has saved me a lot of time. Its only reason for it over the keyboard was the jog shuttle. It has sped up my editing of sports considerably. It was was worth the cost and even works with Windows Vista 64Bit. I highly recommend it.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Seth, with the laptop...

if the laptop has USB, you can always install and customize the software, it's only active if the CSP itself is plugged in, and the device is thin enough to slip in a laptop bag - I have a backup shuttle that resides there...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Seth, with the laptop...

if the laptop has USB, you can always install and customize the software, it's only active if the CSP itself is plugged in, and the device is thin enough to slip in a laptop bag - I have a backup shuttle that resides there...
Thanks Dave - it is so configured.

It just so happens that in the general run of my work I'm likely to use Vegas on the laptop only occasionally, for minor fixes. In these situations j-k-l and alt-left/right are fine scrubbing controls.

OTOH, when I'm at the desktop machine I might be editing for hours or days, and for my workflow, this is where the ShuttlePro really shines.

Others may find themselves working on laptops for hours, the ShuttlePro is a good solution. I also recommend looking into a dedicated USB numpad, it offers some specialized functions for slipping & sliding, for moving clips between tracks, event edge editing (that's not what Sony calls it...?), etc. The built-in numpad is usually a little hard to work with on most laptops, at least I've found it so.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...