Timelapse question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Major Player

So on step time, where it defaults to 00:00:00:01 I should change the 1 to a 6? (This feels like a dumb Q, but it is the one on my mind so please bear with me.)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #17
Sponsor: JET DV

the default 01 will give you one image for every frame. If you want every 6th frame, change the 01 to 06. If you want one frame every second, change it to 00:00:01:00. One frame per minute and you'd change it to 00:01:00:00.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Trustee

Excuse me guys,where's the step time option?Now i don't have the pc where Vegas is installed!thx and i wish you guys merry xMAS and a happy new Vegas year!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Ed... Your answer was very helpful. I feel almost like a time lapse guru now <g>. I cannot wait to try this out.

I enjoyed the time lapses Steven posted and he used every 6 frames... Now, although I can certainly do it trial and error, but are there other "preferred" settings that you, he or others like or use for the look created other than every 6 frames?
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

6 frames worked for one of those shots. I filmed the mountain for about 15-20 minutes, and I wanted the timelapse to be around 15 seconds long, so I did a little math.

Use any number you want, is basically what I'm trying to say.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #21
Trustee

Where can i set 6 etc?
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #22
Major Player

Marcus, I think the answer is in the posts above. Sit in front of your computer and open Vegas and follow along and I think the answer will show itself to you. If not come back and we'll help you.

Steven.... help me with remedial math. Every 6 frames means that instead of 30 (29.70) fps you end up with like 5 fps, right? That suggests to my mind that at 5 fps you cut your time by 5/6's or roughly 84%... no?

84% of 15 minutes by my math is roughly 2 minutes. But, to get as you stated 15 seconds of running time, it would appear that to get 15 seconds out of 15 minutes you would need one frame out of 60, not one out of 6?

Help me, please. Again I apologize for my apparent stupidity.

ps. I just realized soemthing, I have been recently shooting in 30 FPS mode on my Z-1... so if I was shooting 60i, that partially answers my question, but not completely. I think I woul dneed to set the 1 in the step to 59?

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; December 25th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #23
Trustee

Chris thx, but i ve just asked cause i don't have SV8 here with me,cause out on vacation now....
Sorry 4 bothering you guys
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #24
Sponsor: JET DV

Marcus, when you go to Tools - Scripting - Render Image Sequence, it's one of the options on the dialog that appears.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #25
New Boot

Time Manipulation Heaven

Mr. Blake,

I don' know if you are willing to invest more than time in fixing your problem, but if you are willing to crank out some cash you might find yourself with time lapse ultimate power.

Let me mention a software package to you that should meet just about any time lapse issue you may have. Check out by simple google search a software package dubbed, "Twixtor Pro."

This is a wonderful application. It can be a plug-in or stand alone product. Runs about $559; if memory serves. However, what you can do with it is well worth the investment in time spent all the way around.

Be sure to check out the music video that was shot freeform and then the footage was timed to match the temporal cadence of the music. Just a small sample of what is possible. And the software is so easy to use.

Let me know what you think. Good luck to you. I hope I have been of some help to you.
David Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Regular Crew

My math

Chris, don't go by my numbers, I can't do math for the life of me.

Just play around with it, and don't make things too technical!

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodge View Post
...Let me mention a software package to you that should meet just about any time lapse issue you may have. Check out by simple google search a software package dubbed, "Twixtor Pro."...

...This is a wonderful application. It can be a plug-in or stand alone product. Runs about $559; if memory serves. However, what you can do with it is well worth the investment in time spent all the way around...

Let me know what you think. Good luck to you. I hope I have been of some help to you.

David, is this application supported by Sony Vegas?? or do you have to use it stand alone?
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Here's two options for you:

1. Save the VEG file, start a new project, add that VEG file to the timeline (a nested VEG), and then speed up that event again. Then render out the result.

2. Render out the sped up version. Add that new render to the timeline and speed it up again.
It works, I tried it yesterday and crunched an hour clip down to 15 seconds. Vegas got a little wobbly at that point, I was trying to use the sped up VEG file on the timeline and continue edting clips, and the program kept freezing saying it was not responding, so I began to render the little clip and it took 4.5 hours, so I'm thinking that even though it's crunched to 15 seconds, it must still have the hour worth of info crunched into the clip.
The best advice was to add the 300% envelope, then press control and place the cursor at the right edge and crunch the clip even farther
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Good evening,

This has been a coolthread and I learned a few nice things.

the Method Bill used works alright, have done it numerous times, and vegas does it better than other softwares in my book.

Twixtor is an awesome program and anyone working in time, slow or fast or composites of time will find what it can do to be almost a revelation.

they used to have some very good examples on their site. It is worth going to have a look!!!
the pro version about 600 dollars and the standard about 300.

Also for the slo motion a method no one has really mentioned is as follows:

place the video in one camera, play it on slo motion (most do this through the remote) and capture it to a second camera.

I have seen a few pieces of falcons flying quite fast and slowed down this way and it was pretty darn good. I personally have not done this but my friend has, I was pretty impressed.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #30
Trustee

Excuse me guys,i ve just applyed the trick of the 6 frames(thank you STEVE), but now after the script i have thousands of PNG of the pictures i put on the folder...Now shoul i drag n drop theese thousands on the timeline?

Thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...