Reds - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
So Seth what is the difference? I'm not saying there isn't one, but what do you find in Aav6cc color correcting filter "better" than SONY 2nd Colour Corrector? In Sony 2nd CC you get a Colour Picker?
You get 6-in-1... I think of this as more of an efx tool. For example, working with a client's logo, color match in the video wasn't quite right. Easy to dial in multiple colors with Aav6cc.

So, yes, 6 secondary color correctors for those occasions that call for manipulation of multiple colors but not color balance. IMHO it's no better than the sony cc tools, just a different interface to perhaps "color-map" rather than "color-correct".
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #17
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
For example, working with a client's logo, color match in the video wasn't quite right. Easy to dial in multiple colors with Aav6cc.
Ah! Yes Seth excellent example right there!

Quote:
So, yes, 6 secondary color correctors for those occasions that call for manipulation of multiple colors but not color balance.
Yes! Got it now.

Quote:
IMHO it's no better than the sony cc tools, just a different interface to perhaps "color-map" rather than "color-correct".
Sure. Having Colour Mapping is one BIG advance over 2nd Colour Corrector. It's a "Six-Pack" - as we say "Carry-oout!" (it's a beer thing!)

On this basis I can see much I can do then. I still want to see a double click on the slider for "reset" to ZERO?

Tell me, just what do the negative numbers actual represent? An absence of GREEN or a REMOVAL of GREEN? Or what?

TIA

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Tell me, just what do the negative numbers actual represent? An absence of GREEN or a REMOVAL of GREEN? Or what?
Well, I'm quite hesitant to represent myself as an expert in this particular are of video color theory & engineering, but as I understand it:

The numbers refer to the degrees we see on the color wheel represented in the vectorscope. So, a negative number would mean moving counter-clockwise from a starting position on the wheel (eg. for a starting position, red maps about 105 degrees), a positive denotes clockwise movement from that starting position.

Aav6cc gives us -180 to 0 to +180. That will give us the full 360 degrees of the circle. So, if we grab the red adjustments, a negative hue will first pull red and remap it towards yellow, if we keep on going, on towards green. -180 on the Red channel is the same as +180 = Cyan.

For some real fun, drop the "gradient" test pattern on the timeline and apply the 6cc while viewing both video preview and the vectorscope. It tells the story much better than I can with words.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
The numbers refer to the degrees we see on the color wheel represented in the vectorscope.

Aav6cc gives us -180 to 0 to +180. That will give us the full 360 degrees of the circle.
OK .. ? So why does the slider, far right, finish at 179? But I do take your point!

Actually Seth, I was referring to the BnW Slider, which has a range from
-200 < 0 > +300 . That was my observation. Why this range?

Quote:
For some real fun, drop the "gradient" test pattern on the timeline and apply the 6cc while viewing both video preview and the vectorscope.
Ah! I did this with the PAL Test Chart. I could see the RED being zapped to white.

Quote:
It tells the story much better than I can with words.
Does it? It looks pretty and very '60s? But illuminating? Oh dear, I think I need help . . . .

Now I really do feel that a Help.PDF is in order here.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...