Help with Vegas Event pan/crop in PAL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with Vegas Event pan/crop in PAL

I couldn't find anything on this on the board, apologies if there is already a thread on this.

Anyway, I am cutting a wedding video and there are some shots where a fisheye lens is used, and it can be seen in the corners of the video. I wanted to reduce this by going to Event pan/crop and enlarging the image so the lens ring will become invisible. However, as soon as I do, all movement in the video results in some nasty horizontal lines over each moving part of the image. I understand this has something to do with interlacing, but is there a way to avoid this? Do I have to recapture the video under different settings?
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverrir Fridriksson View Post
I couldn't find anything on this on the board, apologies if there is already a thread on this.

Anyway, I am cutting a wedding video and there are some shots where a fisheye lens is used, and it can be seen in the corners of the video. I wanted to reduce this by going to Event pan/crop and enlarging the image so the lens ring will become invisible. However, as soon as I do, all movement in the video results in some nasty horizontal lines over each moving part of the image. I understand this has something to do with interlacing, but is there a way to avoid this? Do I have to recapture the video under different settings?
Just a few thoughts . . .

Are the jagged lines appearing when you render the video as well as when you preview? Try rendering a few seconds to see.

Also, there is a switch in the Properties panel called Reduce Interlace Flicker. Try that.(Right click the event, select Properties)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sverrir, my guess is that you're cropping on the wrong numbered line and that's messing up the field order in Vegas.
Try shifting your crop position up or down one line and see if that helps.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help, guys. It looks like Ian Stark was dead on. I think I had tried rendering a small bit before without luck but this time I took the clip and printed it to tape. Then I hooked the camera to a tv and the image came out fine.
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...