VEGAS 8.1 and Adobe After Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

VEGAS 8.1 and Adobe After Effects

I am still on the steep learning curve on Vegas 8.1 on a Vista 64 machine. I have seen some work done using Adobe After Effects, and liked what I saw.

I looked to see if there were any posts here to answer this and came up empty so here goes: Can I use AE with Vegas 8.1, and do Vegas and AE play together well?

Assuming the worst, any other suggested AE-like programs that do?

Thanks

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're asking if the two programs can co-exist on the same computer, the answer is yes, they will both be fine with no problems.

However the two programs do not connect or work together in anyway. Anything you do in After Effects must be rendered out, usually in a uncompressed .avi file I believe, then brought into Vegas.

Adobe Premier does work with AE to some degree, I believe, but for the details on that you should try the Premier forum.

If I am mistaken on any of the above, someone will likely come along and correct me. I have AE CS3 but I am just playing with it and have not even rendered out the first thing with it, so my knowledge is very limited on the subject, but I believe I am correct above.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff... my question may be a little naive, but my understanding of how AE works is too. What I interpret you to be telling me is that I would need to go back and forth between AE and V8.1 and move clips back and forth between them.
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,
Vegas and AE can work together without rendering out an uncompressed version of your timeline. A vegas project can be saved as an '.aaf' file (IN VEGAS: - FILE->SAVE AS->) and then using the file-type drop down at the bottom choose "Edit Protocol Compliant AAF File" and save it somewhere you can find it.

This aaf file can then be opened in AE and you have a duplicate of your timeline as a composition in AE. There are some caveats; transitions will not come across so at the moment, you can only export a CUTS ONLY time line.

Another issue is, (and I'm scratching my head over this puppy) Vegas 8.1 DOES NOT HAVE THE SAVE AS .AAF FILE FEATURE. Why? You got me - but until 8.2 or some other update comes along to correct this, you can only get an .aaf out of Vegas if it's 8.0c or before. That's what I've been playing with, using 8c to do the edit, export aaf to After effects for the grade and CC - and then render out an uncompressed master.

Someone of greater experience and knowledge may be able to add to this in relevant ways but that's how it's panning out for me at the moment.
Cheers,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you David, that was exactly what I was wanting to know. What version of AE are you using btw?
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris,

I'm using CS3. I also note there is another option for aaf files called 'Avid Legacy AAF'. This works aswell - I haven't yet tested them off against each other to see which is a better or more accurate translation. When opening the aaf file in AE you'll find a folder in your project window. Inside there you'll find a ready made composition that has your footage all in sequence.
Regards,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes they work great on the same machine.
I have Sony Vegas Pro 8 and the Adobe products, Premiere CS4,After Effects CS4 so forth and I sometimes render in Vegas and then put my footage through Adobe media encoder and Encore. I find these products superior to DVD Architect ( just personal opinion ). I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate and have 6GB Ram. Adobe After Effects and well the Adobe collection really loves a high amount of Ram.

I only just bought the Adobe collection last week so I am by no means an expert yet. Premiere is proving to be a large learning curve for myself.
Matthew Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Matthew, I agree on Encore being a great program, but it is indeed a tough learning curve!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...