Vegas 8 - Access Event Pan/Crop on clips in Project Media window? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 8 - Access Event Pan/Crop on clips in Project Media window?

I have a 3 cam shoot and the middle angle needs to be straightened and color corrected but when you create a multicamera track for angle switching it destroys any FX and such. I can add the color correction FX to the clip in the Project Media window so it will translate to the timeline but can I access Event Pan/Crop on clips there also?
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Trustee

You can't do pan and crop from the project media bin, as you've found out, and you can't apply it before doing the multicam because then you'll loose the crop.
So here's what you do,
do the multicam, forget about cropping for now.
Once the multicam is complete, untick the multicam so you're back to a normal track.
Apply the crop to the first instance of the camera that needs cropping, on the timeline.
Highlight that now corrected clip on the timeline right click>copy and then on the same clip again right click>select in project media list,
go to the now highlighted clip in the project media tab, right click>select events on timeline
this will highlight all the clips that you want to crop
go to one of those highlighted clips on the timeline right click>paste event attributes.
Job done.

Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Another way would be to apply the Pan/Crop you want, render it out to a NEW file, and then use that new file as your camera angle instead of the original file. In fact, if your already along in the process, you could "replace" the original file with the new file.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips. I was at the tail end of the project before I realized this was going to be an issue. I ended up rendering the edited middle track to a new file and will import it to replace the original. It just takes a lot more time since I'm rendering a corrected track which needs every frame re-encoded.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul, I ended up using your method and it worked like a charm. All I have to to is render now and I saved a ton of time. Thanks.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...