Malfunctioning Quicktime Files in Vegas Pro 8.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Malfunctioning Quicktime Files in Vegas Pro 8.0

For some reason, when I put them into my timeline of either Vegas OR Premiere, all of my quicktime video files now have white flashing. When I play the individual files back using the quicktime media player, it doesn't flash, but where it flashes in my editor, they appear to be repeated frames when played back in the quicktime player...as if the qt player is just making up for frames that are no longer there.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, did you fix it? How? I would understand if it were a damaged file, but this is happening to ALL my QT files, no matter where they're located. Is this possibly a codec problem?
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone? Anyone at all?
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

How did you make the quicktime files, and what codec was used?
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's the problem. I'm not sure. I used Vegas 8.0 when I rendered them, so I have no idea why this is happening. I have them all on separate hard drives, and then one day the laptop crashed. Everything on the drives outside the laptop were safe. When I reloaded XP (same version) and loaded all my programs back onto it, suddenly I have this problem. And it's not just with the files on one particular drive. I have 3 drives outside my laptop, and the files I have on all 3 are doing this. The codec was for Motion-JPEG B, which, checking again, my copy of Vegas has. So it wasn't something I had to add on after the Vegas installation the first time.

I hope that makes sense. LoL
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Anybody else? I'm still having this problem!
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Frost View Post
Anybody else? I'm still having this problem!
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Alright, well thanks for the help, everybody!
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Major Player

In my opinion Vegas does not like QT files, QT looks at color differently I believe, I have had some some success lately capturing m2t and converting to mov. in cineform Neo HDV, and then editing, worked without a hitch. I rendered in vegas using QT with the dropdown codec cineform hd2k4k, I think I picked that up by trying the demo of HD 2k4k of cineform one time, don't know, all I know is that I have it and use it. it also has advanced to check 444, it does produce an especially nice video.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a similar problem. Footage captured in Final Cut Pro but cutting it in Vegas, because my Mac went to hospital for a week. The only thing I get is audio, no picture at all from the quick time files.

Not good.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Tomanec View Post
I have a similar problem.
Your problem is most likely completely unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Tomanec View Post
Footage captured in Final Cut Pro but cutting it in Vegas, because my Mac went to hospital for a week. The only thing I get is audio, no picture at all from the quick time files.

Not good.
Install the latest version of quicktime on the PC, reboot, and your problems will most likely magically disappear.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
In my opinion Vegas does not like QT files, QT looks at color differently I believe...
My Vegas system seems to like quicktime just fine, and seems to "look at color" no differently than it's supposed to.
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have to agree with Perrone here. I've been using Vegas for many years now with little to no problem with .mov files, and that includes the current version I'm experiencing the problem with. This is the first time it's happened.

Are there known issues with new versions of Quicktime having problems with files encoded with previous versions?

EDIT: I should also mention I'm shooting SD, not HD.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Major Player

My problem with QT Pro 7.6 is that I cannot render QT files out of Vegas. I have no problems loading and playing back QT clips, but when I attempt to render my avi clips as QT (using any codec contained within QT) I get a microsecond of an appearance of a popup panel and that's it. The only thing that appears on my designated HD spot where I want to save the file is a qt.mov.sfl file. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Well, the problem I'm having is not related to the machine I was using. I just installed the same version of Vegas on my work computer and I'm getting the same result....with files I haven't even tried it with that were all on YET ANOTHER hard drive. All my QT video files are flickering like mad, and there are red frames appearing in the timeline.

Can ANYONE help me with this at all???
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Upload of of the files here:

ftp://98.230.31.52/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...